Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Game crashes and complaints about not enough texture units with latest nVidia driver
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just installed the latest nVidia graphics driver on my system with a GeForce FX 5900. Penumbra crashes stating that the graphics card doesn't support enough texture units. Upon inspecting the generated hpl.log there is something really weird:

Code:
Setting up OpenGL
  Max texture image units: 140668848
  Max texture coord units: 140668848

The file is attached, so anyway I hope this helps trying to figure out what is going on, or if this is a problem with other nVidia cards and the latest driver.
Just to make sure other applications worked, I tried to run other games, both 64-bit and 32-bit games. UT2004 64-bit worked, Doom3 (32-bit game) crashed (segfault) using OpenGL directly (no SDL) and Quake 4 (32-bit game) worked, as well as Neverwinter Nights (both using SDL) and UT'99 (using OpenGL directly) also crashed with segmentation fault. At this point it would look like a problem with the 32-bit libs installed by the driver... Any suggestions? (I know, reverting back to the older driver will get this resolved, just want to isolate the issue). Maybe it is a problem with the packaged version of the driver (installed off Livna Fedora repository), maybe the reference nVidia driver doesn't have the issue, will test with it too.
Apparently there is a problem on how the driver is packaged by Livna, the "vanilla" driver works just fine. Disregard this thread, please.
you can also test the nvidia driver from freshrpms.net. That is the one that I use. though currently I'm still using the 97xx series and haven't upgraded to the 100.xxx.