Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: The Shadow question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So does it have a physical form or is it just red aura? Because in one scene when it chases Daniel, you can clearly hear the stomping noise, also red mists doesn't roar, does it?

Does Daniel gets killed when the Shadow devours him or does he just become part of the shadow?
Well, the red goo is the Shadow, so yeah, it has a physical form.

Also, I don't think Daniel dies when the Shadow gets him, because
Spoiler below!
Weyer and Agrippa are able to communicate with Daniel in one of the endings.

EDIT: Adding 'em spoiler tags.
I thought red goo is the residue left by the shadow, not his actual form? Like some kind of marking to prove that "it was there"?

If shadow devours him and still can listen to others, why does he die in the game?

I also wanted to know the same question, it always sounded like it was right behind you though with headphones on which creeped me out alot. But would be cool if it had a actual form liek the grunt or brute but maybe bigger.
Quote: I thought red goo is the residue left by the shadow, not his actual
form? Like some kind of marking to prove that "it was there"?
It is, it's just a manifestation of how it breaks down reality

The Shadow does not have any physical form, or any form that can be comprehended by a mortal human, remember that the Shadow is just the guardian of the Orb, and an effect of how moving the orb wasn't supposed to happen and the universe 'has to catch up with itself' or something like that.

Thus, the Shadow isn't really comprehensive, the red good, the red mist, are all manifestations of how alien and bizarre it is, in some ways it's like some of the Elder Gods from H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulu mythos, as the Shadow cannot be comprehended and has powers that warp reality just by existing

Then why does it have roaring sound and every time shadow chases you, there is some kind of heavy stomping sound?
(02-29-2012, 11:43 PM)zionmx Wrote: [ -> ]Then why does it have roaring sound and every time shadow chases you, there is some kind of heavy stomping sound?
The stomping sound is likely the noise that occurs whenever more red residue is left behind, while the roaring could be something like the sound it makes while on the move as it phases through reality/time/space.
I think you may be over analysing this a little too much Tongue
(02-29-2012, 07:57 PM)zionmx Wrote: [ -> ]So does it have a physical form or is it just red aura? Because in one scene when it chases Daniel, you can clearly hear the stomping noise, also red mists doesn't roar, does it?

Does Daniel gets killed when the Shadow devours him or does he just become part of the shadow?

It never was hinted or explained if the Shadow has physical form. If you take your time to look back in the "Prison" level, during the chase you will see nothing, so we can assume there is no actual visible form of the shadow, just its leftover and affection on real word, environment around. The red goo, part of it, is like a warning, the indication that Shadow is nearby, its' close. This way the developers trying to gather the atmosphere, to give the player a feeling that he is not safe, never.
(03-01-2012, 03:24 AM)Kein Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-29-2012, 07:57 PM)zionmx Wrote: [ -> ]So does it have a physical form or is it just red aura? Because in one scene when it chases Daniel, you can clearly hear the stomping noise, also red mists doesn't roar, does it?

It never was hinted or explained if the Shadow has physical form. If you take your time to look back in the "Prison" level, during the chase you will see nothing, so we can assume there is no actual visible form of the shadow, just its leftover and affection on real word, environment around. The red goo, part of it, is like a warning, the indication that Shadow is nearby, its' close. This way the developers trying to gather the atmosphere, to give the player a feeling that he is not safe, never.
At least until you learn that the Shadow will never actually try to kill you at the end of the game...

Pages: 1 2