Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Which monster scared you the most and why?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This is something I find very interesting, and that is who and why people are most afraid of a certain "monster". I suppose it has something to do with something deep in an individual's psyche that causes the different elements and characteristics of a certain creature to be more frightening than the others. Take the poll and leave a comment!
I found The Suitor to be the scariest. I still hear its breathing every now and then... >.> Plus it kills you in one hit like The Brute.
There is a thread for this already, if I'm not mistaken.
Why isn't the shadow included? It's a pretty scary monster as well. Although not too sure about calling it a monster...
Im the most scariest monster.
I look worst then all of them monsters in the list.
The Grunt had the most effect on me. Probably because it was the first monster to appear, and there was this awesome build-up, and then when you finally see it, I swear I almost had an heart attack in the archives when it appears behind you and dissappears. I just never wanted to see it again. I remember having a moment in the Storage, where it spawn behind that door when you open it, I opened the door and hid behind it, because I wanted to see what was in there, and when it came out, and I closed the door, just seeing the back of it just made me freak so much out, that I had to quit.

The Brute just looks plain wierd to me, not scary in particular, but it has better growls than the grunt.

It might had something to do with the fact, that the Grunt looks a bit more like a human, with it's jaw and everything.
Suitors. Undecided
The Brute, almost entirely for the audio associated with it. Mainly these:

\Steam\steamapps\common\amnesia the dark descent\sounds\enemy\brute\enabled01.ogg
\Steam\steamapps\common\amnesia the dark descent\sounds\enemy\brute\amb_idle_whimp01.ogg
\Steam\steamapps\common\amnesia the dark descent\sounds\enemy\brute\notice_long02.ogg

The last one, triggered when the enemy notices you (as you may have guessed from the filename!), is fantastic because it sounds like the Brute itself is scared by your encounter, as if you're a confusing threat he just wants to get rid of, which makes him even more frightening. Kinda like Leatherface in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre in that respect.

Incidentally, this audio clip pretty much ruined my life:

\Steam\steamapps\common\amnesia the dark descent\sounds\03\03_amb.ogg

The audio engineers who worked on this game are geniuses.
It wasn't any specific monster that scared me, it was a combination of all of them. I mean like, you could have the whole game just be Servant Grunts and it would still be scary. The monsters them self weren't scary, just the tension that built up when you were around them was creepy as heck. Sure they looked gruesome and made unsettling noises, but the monsters them self didn't scare me rather than being around one or not knowing when they come out. But if I had to pick a monster it would be the Brute. They were pretty freaky and the thing that was most scary about them is that they could kill you in one hit. But they were also easy to escape unlike the Servant Grunts who were swift and quick. The Kaernk didn't scare me mainly because you couldn't even see the real monster, only the footsteps in the water. That was pretty freaky as well when you were being chased by them and you couldn't tell if it was an hallucination or not. The Suitors look creepy, but weren't frightening to me because I knew they couldn't see me. That's basically my run down.
I basically agree with Monzuni. The whole build up was what creeped me out. When you knew something was near but you weren't sure where and you just wanted to stay behind the box but you where going insane. But when they saw you the music made you panic making it just as scary. I do choose the brute however as the sound of it's groans gave me the creeps. I haven't played Justine yet so i don't know how the suitors are.
Pages: 1 2 3