Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Challenge/Contest for Custom Stories
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings!

Does anyone else miss the "old" Amnesia? With the massive immersion, becoming a nerve wreck after playing for 15 minutes and feeling your balls shrink to the size of blueberries? I know I do at least.

To the point; The majority of the stories being released are mostly a pile of jumpscares and references to different things. And the original game only has so much replay value.

I would like to propose a challenge to any interested mapmaker / modder that's interested. I want you to try to create the most immersive custom story you possibly can. I know it's not an easy task, but I think everyone would be thrilled to see some of the old spirit in this game get resurrected.

This is still only in the stage of being an idea. But I would be thrilled to see some engagement from the community and maybe even other youtubers. Possibly turn it into a map-making contest, which would bring a lot of attention to the good maps/mapmakers.

Don't know if anyone else is interested in this idea, but it's worth a shot. Smile

Any support would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time!
I would love to try this. Expect at least one CS to be posted in here.
I don't know man, I think your just not playing the right custom stories. I think many do often aim to create the most immersive experience they can, its just that they fail for lack of ability in one respect or another (which isn't a problem of course, being the amateurs we are).

I think the nature of it being a 'challenge' or 'competition' would impact very negatively on the quality of the content released. I appreciate you may not mean a 'timed' challenge, but even so that push to get something competitive out in time to meet the challenge goes against what is required to make a very immersive and engaging experience for the player. Amnesia had a delayed release, and even then was criticised for the ending seeming 'rushed' (I wouldn't know, I'm too pathetic to complete it Smile). A real nice, polished, immersive and engaging experience takes an awful lot of time and care to be produced, particularly for modders who have the freedom (time) to be crazy-perfectionist about it.

People are currently taking time to make the kind of quality experiences you are looking for, I assure you, and they will continue to do so. If you want to see more stuff like that, by all means help create it. In my opinion however, a community challenge is not the sort of activity to get the kind of results you are looking for - such things are better suited for making the most intricate 10 min survival or puzzle game using the engine, rather than long term engaging stories to shit your pants to.

EDIT: However don't let my pessimism shit all over your ideas bro Smile go for it! It would certainly be interesting to see what would come of it
I'm kinda doing that right now....
Challenge accepted. Brb a few months
(05-15-2012, 07:07 PM)Adrianis Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know man, I think your just not playing the right custom stories. I think many do often aim to create the most immersive experience they can, its just that they fail for lack of ability in one respect or another (which isn't a problem of course, being the amateurs we are).

I think the nature of it being a 'challenge' or 'competition' would impact very negatively on the quality of the content released. I appreciate you may not mean a 'timed' challenge, but even so that push to get something competitive out in time to meet the challenge goes against what is required to make a very immersive and engaging experience for the player. Amnesia had a delayed release, and even then was criticised for the ending seeming 'rushed' (I wouldn't know, I'm too pathetic to complete it Smile). A real nice, polished, immersive and engaging experience takes an awful lot of time and care to be produced, particularly for modders who have the freedom (time) to be crazy-perfectionist about it.

People are currently taking time to make the kind of quality experiences you are looking for, I assure you, and they will continue to do so. If you want to see more stuff like that, by all means help create it. In my opinion however, a community challenge is not the sort of activity to get the kind of results you are looking for - such things are better suited for making the most intricate 10 min survival or puzzle game using the engine, rather than long term engaging stories to shit your pants to.

EDIT: However don't let my pessimism shit all over your ideas bro Smile go for it! It would certainly be interesting to see what would come of it

Appreciate the feedback!

I have played a few custom stories that have been very well made. White Night, Abduction etc. But I'm simply trying to encourage more maps of the same caliber to be produced.
Making it into a timed challenge would obviously drop the standards, and is pretty much out of the question. Maybe contest/challenge wasn't the best choice of words, but like i said. It's still in the stage of just being an idea floating around. So any other input or feedback is always appreciated. Smile