Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Brightness
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just out of curiosity, but do you guys set the Brightness option to what the game suggests? (When you can't see the block anymore)

Or do you raise it slightly higher so your not walking in circles in really dark levels?
(05-27-2012, 01:04 AM)Rapture Wrote: [ -> ]Just out of curiosity, but do you guys set the Brightness option to what the game suggests? (When you can't see the block anymore)

Or do you raise it slightly higher so your not walking in circles in really dark levels?
I turn it all the way down, and the brightness on my monitor all the way down, and then I shut off the light in my room, put a hood over my head, and close my eyes, and THEN I play.

To answer your question: Don't cheat.
The game is quite generous with the amount of light you get from the recommended gamma settings. In real life you would not be able to see anything in a completely isolated area with no external light. Your eyes would adjust but unless you wear an eyepatch on one eye specifically for this purpose it would take quite a while and even if you do you would never be able to see that much in complete darkness. Play the game so you can see well lit areas well and you should be good.
Bridge and CrankyOldMan posting in the same thread...now we wait.
(05-27-2012, 01:19 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-27-2012, 01:04 AM)Rapture Wrote: [ -> ]Just out of curiosity, but do you guys set the Brightness option to what the game suggests? (When you can't see the block anymore)

I turn it all the way down, and the brightness on my monitor all the way down, and then I shut off the light in my room, put a hood over my head, and close my eyes, and THEN I play.

It's not a question about being a pussy of the dark, its about what people prefer to make gameplay easier in total darkness. The nightvision will be gone in my maps, and lantern usage will be between mediocre to zero.
(05-27-2012, 02:16 AM)Rapture Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-27-2012, 01:19 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: [ -> ]

It's not a question about being a pussy of the dark, its about what people prefer to make gameplay easier in total darkness. The nightvision will be gone in my maps, and lantern usage will be between mediocre to zero.
As my monitor is a poor flatscreen where the black isn't really black (but somewhat brighter) I adjust the brightness until I that effect is gone, because that's just annoying. (It's like having a dark gray wall blocking the darkness.)
Unless the game also tells me otherwise, I also expect to be able to very vaguely discern even the darkest corners of the map if I squint.
Judging by my testing map, without proper lighting, it can be fucking black. With the lantern often available, it doesn't really matter.

(05-27-2012, 02:04 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote: [ -> ]Bridge and CrankyOldMan posting in the same thread...now we wait.
Let me tell you something, brother: I've been in this business for far longer than you have, and I've seen it all, and I know that when we step into that ring tonight, there can only be one champion. Now let me ask you something, brother: Whatcha gonna do, when Crankymania runs wild on you?
(I don't watch wrestling that much - I can only do Hulk Hogan for 5 seconds.)
(05-27-2012, 02:04 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote: [ -> ]Bridge and CrankyOldMan posting in the same thread...now we wait.
Don't bother, there is always fighting within married couples.
For Penumbra and Amnesia both, I have left the gamma at the default "1" option. I eventually turned it down half way through Penumbra Overture, because it was really bright for me when it was supposed to be dark. In Amnesia, I was almost always squinting to see through the darkness, but I refused to turn up the gamma at all.
I usually play on the recommended settings, unless I'm recording a youtube video. Then I turn it slightly above the recommended level, since youtube makes the videos a bit darker.
I usually play on the default settings. I leave the gamma the same but sometimes I increase the brightness of the monitor if I don't see enough. (as in, so dark that the screen is just black if you don't use the lantern and you keep walking into walls)
Pages: 1 2