Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: penumbra.bin - Permission denied!?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This won't help (and I tried it).
I'm not sure if it really has anything to do with rights.
Maybe with SELinux, I don't know anything about it.

I may test the game under another Ubuntu installation this weekend.

Okay, I had an intiution that said me I should move the install on a different partition.
Now it's in my home directory.
The game still doesn't start, just the error has changed.
Code:
./penumbra.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_ttf-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
haha i see, now you have to install the SDL_ttf package Smile
It works! It works!
Well, kinda...

There are still many problems, even with the update.
For one, the sound stutters extremely.
Then, when I am in the game and I go to the menu per Esc, I can't do anything anymore! The mouse cursor is frozen, I can't select with the cursor keys, only sound is playing.
So I had to reboot my system...
Another issue is that I can't see some objects. One wall of the ship is invisible, there's only blue. I can see some objects from certain angles, but not always.
Very weird!

I also had the last two issues with the Windows version, but a patch helped!
Can I also expect that patch for the Linux version or will it remain unplayable for me???
I certainly hope not!
wow,
Which graphic card are you using ?
Do you have any other apps running that use sounds ?
And can you provide some screenshots of the "bug" ?

Finally, can you upload your hpl.log file ? (~/.frictionalgames/Penumbra Overture/Episode1/hpl.log)
Is there an in-game way to make a screenshot!?
Don't know how I would be able to do otherwise...

Graphic Card: ATI Mobility Radeon X1300.

I have the latest driver installed (fglrx).

No other applications running that use sound while running the game.

I have to add that the mouse cursor freezes only sometimes in the menu. Can't tell when, though.
No there is no way to make a screenshoot in-game (maybe i'm wrong)

About the graphic "bug" you get something like this ?
Then try to install an older version of the ati driver...

For the sound, humm, do you know if you use Alsa, OSS, or someting else ?

And for the menus, i think it has something to do with the ati driver too...
Well, like on the screenshot, I can see the map on the desk only more or less, sometimes not at all.
Also, the back wall with the porthole is sometimes not visible at all, sometimes only in parts.
The same goes for the lamp and probably many other things (the flashlight looks also weird).
I might try with an older driver, but the one that is in the Ubuntu repository made some other problems with video playback...well, I try. Smile

Edit: I installed two previous driver versions, and they didn't help the problem. Then I installed the version from the Ubuntu repository. With it Penumbra won't even start, so this isn't the way to go as it seems.
It doesn't matter if I use OSS or ALSA, the sound stutters anyway. Maybe it also did under the Windows version, but I can't remember.

As I see it only a patch can fix this problem. Why isn't this patch available for Linux!?
Ozzie Wrote:It doesn't matter if I use OSS or ALSA, the sound stutters anyway. Maybe it also did under the Windows version, but I can't remember.
hum, it can be a problem with OpenAL then...

Ozzie Wrote:As I see it only a patch can fix this problem. Why isn't this patch available for Linux!?
Did you try this ?
That update makes Penumbra crash.
But the second suggestion in this thread helps.
So, sound works alright now.

The graphic (and menu) problem is still left, though. Sad
Okay, some time has passed now and still nobody came up with a solution to the problem.
I'm not sure why the Linux version doesn't recieve the same amount of support as the Windows version.
It may be because you don't recieve as much money from it, though, since you sell it through your online shop, you get much more money per copy.
The game is totally unplayable for me in this state. It hangs nearly every time when I try to access the menu while playing the game and doesn't make it possible for me to quit it without a reboot.

The graphical glitches make objects appear and disappear at will and depending on the angle. It's not only ugly, but makes you miss many objects and thus unplayable.
If you're not able to help me with the problem (like with a patch) then I would like to request a refund.

Ozzie
Pages: 1 2 3