Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Problems with custom models
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, just got the model into 3ds max and exported it to .dae successfully. It does show up in the model editor when I import the mesh, however it lacks the textures. And how do I make it into a placable object?
All textures must have a corresponding material file with the same file name as the texture. (Note: file extension is not part of file name.) Simplest way to generate a material file is by loading your model into the ModelView program.
Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait, your exported your MODEL and as a .dds?

Mother of god.

Alright, so what you need to do is export your textures as .dds and place them somewhere within your amnesia directory, then use the materialeditor.exe to create a .mat file using the same name and location as your .dds files, like this.

example_diffuse.dds
example_specular.dds
example_diffuse.mat

Now in your 3D modeling suite ( 3D's max ) Create a new standard material and add a bitmap to it, the bitmap should be example_diffuse.dds located within your amnesia directory.

Now export your model as a DAE and it should work fine.
(06-19-2012, 07:44 AM)Traggey Wrote: [ -> ]Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait, your exported your MODEL and as a .dds?

Mother of god.

Alright, so what you need to do is export your textures as .dds and place them somewhere within your amnesia directory, then use the materialeditor.exe to create a .mat file using the same name and location as your .dds files, like this.

example_diffuse.dds
example_specular.dds
example_diffuse.mat

Now in your 3D modeling suite ( 3D's max ) Create a new standard material and add a bitmap to it, the bitmap should be example_diffuse.dds located within your amnesia directory.

Now export your model as a DAE and it should work fine.
Ops I meant as a .dae, sry for the confusion.

EDIT: How do I export my textures as .dds? They are currently in a .jpg and .png format.
There are plugins for Photoshop and The Gimp which lets you export as .dds
(06-19-2012, 11:11 AM)Traggey Wrote: [ -> ]There are plugins for Photoshop and The Gimp which lets you export as .dds
I can't seem to get this working, is there any tutorials on making a model and getting it into the game?
Not as far as I know.
(06-19-2012, 12:49 PM)Traggey Wrote: [ -> ]Not as far as I know.
Ok, thanks anyway Smile

(06-19-2012, 01:01 AM)Your Computer Wrote: [ -> ]All textures must have a corresponding material file with the same file name as the texture. (Note: file extension is not part of file name.) Simplest way to generate a material file is by loading your model into the ModelView program.
The model viewer crashes when I try to open it, is there another way to generate a material file?
The Material Editor.