Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Mountain hiking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey guys, I'm going mountain hiking for a few days in the Vermont region of the northeastern States. I have a question: what should I do if I encounter dangerous animals such as bears, wolves, or snakes? I'm not sure if there are many of those in the mountains where I'm hiking, but I do keep hearing horror stories of hikers getting mauled to death by bears on the news. I can't bring a knife with me since I don't live in the states and knives probably aren't permitted at border crossing.

So, any tips on how to deal with large and deadly animals?
Well never run from a bear, youll be fucked. Also bears are actually kind of cowards, it's possible to scare one away.

Don't know about wolves though.
I've read that all bears except black bears will only defend themselves if threatened and don't consider you prey. So if you see one, back away. If it charges for you you should: 1) stand your ground no matter what 2) make yourself as tall as possible (waving your arms over your head is also recommended) and make low-pitched noises. If it hesitates, run after it and it will probably leave you alone. If it is prepared to fight, land a good punch in its face or kick it and it will probably retreat. Bears are incredibly strong though so make sure you don't get hit first as you can easily be knocked down.

For wolves, I've read that you should avoid direct eye contact, make yourself as tall as possible (with the arms like I mentioned above) and move towards solid ground. I don't know what the significance of solid ground is but I've read that wolves will not follow you if you move onto solid ground like rock (have no idea why). If it's a stray wild wolf then you can use the bluff method described above but wolves that are used to the presence of humans will not be scared and will probably not retreat. They are essentially dogs though which means if you can seriously injure them they will flee. They can leap large distances and are much stronger than normal dogs though so this will probably be difficult. Overall I'd say avoid going off the designated path if there is one and if you see a dangerous animal from afar go in the other direction.
Most of this. ^ Just don't mix them up. That will end badly.
(08-22-2012, 12:02 AM)Bridge Wrote: [ -> ]If it is prepared to fight, land a good punch in its face or kick it and it will probably retreat.
i agree with mostly what you said except this^^

even if you are world's best boxer the only thing you'll achieve after punching a bear is quicker death.

once a male bear notices your presence he will usually just stay away, the only case where a male bear would attack is if you surprise him by coming VERY CLOSE.

Females with cubs are the ones you need to worry about as they are HIGHLY aggresive.
Running is your last option, bears can run faster than horses.

Anyway, lets be positive.. you are not plannning to get attacked by a bear right ?

so my advice is... Just follow the paths people use, animals learn to stay away from those
Well in general you should always have some means of defense, whether it be a hunting rifle or just a simple knife (not to mention a knife is one of the most useful tools you can have) As for tips on dealing with predators:

Bears usually won't bother you, but make sure you never catch them by surprise. They do not like to be surprised at all. If you happen to see one and it doesn't notice you, detour quickly. Additionally, if you are walking a trail in a forest or something with low visibility you can always bang a pot or make some kind of loud noises; this will draw attention to you.
If you encounter a bear, remain calm and avoid sudden movements and give the bear plenty of room so it can resume its activities in peace. When a bear spots you, you want it to know you are a human so talk to it in an assertive-like normal tone and you can wave your arms a bit. A standing bear is not a sign of aggression, they often stand to gain a better view. If you are an unlucky soul and a bear is pursuing you, throw something onto the ground and distract it.

Snakes are actually quite docile and shy when left undisturbed and will only strike in self-defense when harassed or startled. Scan the area in front of you and be aware where you are placing your feet and use caution when hiking in snake territory. If you do happen to encounter a snake of any kind, keep a safe distance away and leave it alone. Most snake bites are a result of harassing or picking up a snake! You don't really have to worry about snake encounters, just be listening for them; snakes almost always hiss when you get too close.

It is extremely important to discourage wolves from approaching you. If a wolf appears and acts unafraid or aggressive, remember these tips:
- Do not allow the wolf to be within 100 meters of you
- Raise your airs to appear larger
- When in a group, act in unison to send a clear message to them that they are not welcome
- Back away slowly, NEVER turn your back on a wolf
- Make noise, throw sticks, or rocks or anything at the wolf
Bear.) Quickly put out the fire pit you made.

Wolve.) Act like you're throwing a piece of meat (but don't actually do it, they're stupid and will think you threw it and run away).

Snake.) Pick it up and throw it as far as you can.

FYI: Try not to attempt any of these. If a bear attacks you fake death until it leaves never try to outrun it. For a wolve (view under reply). for a snake you should look at the ground and where you are headed about 15 steps and while walking look around, a snake is easily spotted like this.
(08-22-2012, 12:02 AM)Bridge Wrote: [ -> ]For wolves, I've read that you should avoid direct eye contact, make yourself as tall as possible (with the arms like I mentioned above) and move towards solid ground. I don't know what the significance of solid ground is but I've read that wolves will not follow you if you move onto solid ground like rock (have no idea why). If it's a stray wild wolf then you can use the bluff method described above but wolves that are used to the presence of humans will not be scared and will probably not retreat. They are essentially dogs though which means if you can seriously injure them they will flee. They can leap large distances and are much stronger than normal dogs though so this will probably be difficult. Overall I'd say avoid going off the designated path if there is one and if you see a dangerous animal from afar go in the other direction.

Most of your wolf post is incorrect.

I hunt wolves and never been attacked, they usually run away.
If a wolf makes eye contact with you, make direct eye contact back so it knows you are aware, and ready.
keep your distance, especially if the animal is scavenging or feeding.
Stay calm; stand up straight, be confident.
Don't wave your arms, shout, behave aggressively, tease, or otherwise provoke the animal. Don't stare directly, most animals consider this a challenge. If threatened, calmly turn around and walk away. Never run, it may decide to chase you.
Call the police; a wolf that does not instinctively fear humans is potentially a problem animal.
If you are attacked, try to roll up into a fetal position, protecting your face and hands; don't move until the animal backs off.
If bitten, call 911 right away. Dog (or wolf) bites can be very serious, and are prone to infection.
Things that attract (and aggravate) a bear; avoid these at all costs!

Playing the clarinet (badly)
Waving a flashlight back and forth
Stomping the ground
Eating cube cheese
Wearing a sombrero in a goofy fashion
Wearing clown shoes
Wearing a hoop skirt
Screeching like a chimpanzee.
Running
Limping (worse than running)
Crawling (worse than limping)

If you do encounter a bear, grab the nearest stick, and draw a circle in the dirt*. The bear can do no harm to you while you stand inside the circle.

* = it is crucial this is a circle, and not an oval

Enjoy your hike!
Spongebob? In MY Frictional games topic?
Don't take any risks, bring in the big guns.
Pages: 1 2 3