Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Sell Amnesia as a hardware?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I really, really want to get my hands on Amnesia. But I do not have a credit or PayPal card or anything alike. Since this game is ONLY a downloadable game to buy, I will in this case have to ask a friend for help with their card. And like that's not enough - I will still not be certain I'll be able to keep the game. What if my computer screws up? So then I'll have to find a solution for that, like saving the game on a USB or burn it on a disc. And even then, it is not for certain it will work again.
And all this trouble, just because I can not just buy the game as a hardware, with a disc and a box? I will more than gladly pay for the game - but I will not go through all of this trouble for it when I will not even be entirely sure I can keep the game.

So yeah, I really would like to get my hands on Amnesia, literally - get my HANDS on it. Maybe even go as far as including the feature to create our own stories through mods, userfriendly and everything? Not a requirement though. All I am trying to say is that I want this game to be available to buy as a hardware. In that case, I WILL buy it - no matter the price. But as it is now, I just won't. It's only downloadable - and I don't want to buy a download for said reasons.
Order it off amazon or ebay
(08-28-2012, 05:00 PM)Chronofox Wrote: [ -> ]Order it off amazon or ebay
... again - I will have to ask someone for help to use a credit card in that case. Tongue And not to mention - I do not trust to order things from those sites. I know more than well the conditions of the products can variate. I stand by what I said - I want them to see it as a hardware... internationally. I didn't even ask "How can I get my hands on it?". I am trying to say how I feel about this, god damnit.
Not many stores sell retail PC games anymore due to digital downloads as they are mor convenient for the buyers and money saving for the developers. Amnesia IS available for retail but it is rare. You're better off trying to buy a retail CD online. I know it defeats the purpose of trying to buy with cash. But hey... the 21st century is a bitch sometimes.
What country are you from? Gamersgate offers a variety of payment options for different countries (I have neither a Credit Card nor a PayPal account myself). Also you can download the game as often as you like, in case your computer screws up. Same goes for Steam. Considering that a disc can get scratched, this is even safer than buying it in a box.
Also I never needed a credit card to buy stuff from Amazon...again this probably depends on the country you're in?
Quote: And not to mention - I do not trust to order things from those sites. I know more than well the conditions of the products can variate.
...you do not trust Amazon to sell you a brand new copy of Amnesia in a box that works? I don't get it.
Quote: I want them to see it as a hardware... internationally.
It is available as a disc and yes, internationally - just buy it off Amazon. You can't expect a small indie studio like Frictional to make their game available in every Game Store in every City around the world - its simply too expensive for them and the small number of additional customers they might gain can't make up for that.
Buy Paysafecards from local supplier and activate cards in your Steam account, and buy Amnesia or whatever you want.
FYI, hardware refers to the physical equipment used to run computers whereas software is a set of instructions that uses said equipment. Video games are always software, even retail versions. Can't really help you with your problem though. I don't see why you can't just ask your parents to pay for it and you pay them back.
i have used amazon for more than one used PC game, as sadly, sometimes really old disks wear out and stop working, or i may have missed out on the game when it was new.

The games have come in bubble wrap and jiffy bags to protect the box, and the disks have been in protecitve sleeves in the box as well to stop them getting scratched in transit, they have NEVER had a virus on them (i always scan my games, even brand new ones, before installing!) and like i said, those are used games, about 15 years old some of them, for less than a fiver, so if they take that much care of a used game thats worth peanuts, imagine the care they take for a brand new and more expensive game...

let me tell you, private couriers, even more bubble wrap, a cardboarsd box filled with polystyrene protection, it sure aint gonna get damaged in transit!

plus, Amazon is a "HTTP/S" SECURE site. the payment system has a similar encryption level to most big banks (thanks for the info bridge, my data was years out of date!)and it destroys the credit card details from the server once payment has been made, so even if someone does hack the account (wich happened ONCE in 1998 and never again) they cant get the credit card details as they are not there. its perfectly safe to use, dont worry.

i am as paranoid with money as you are, i dont have a credit or payment card either, i can Never remember the numbers, so when i buy a game from amazon, or a Digital game of Steam, my parents use there card, and i pay them the money once the game arrives and has been installed and is working, or the digital download is installed and working.

plus, if amazon do send you a dud, you can send it back and theyll either send you a TESTED new one, or theyll give you your money back if you ask.
(08-28-2012, 08:11 PM)the dark side Wrote: [ -> ]plus, Amazon is a "HTTP/S" SECURE site. the payment system has a 64 bit security encryption (most BANKS only have 32 bit!) and it destroys the credit card details from the server once payment has been made, so even if someone does hack the account (wich happened ONCE in 1998 and never again) they cant get the credit card details as they are not there. its perfectly safe to use, dont worry.
This isn't true. Amazon uses 128-bit SSL encryption and so does the Bank of America and keys go all the way up to 256-bit now. There is no way any reputable bank uses only 30-bit because according to this website it takes less than a week to crack a 30-bit key using brute force. It's interesting that it would take more time than the universe has been around to crack a 128-bit key though, I didn't know it was that secure.
my info is out of date then! thanks for the update bridge!
Pages: 1 2