Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: How do you launch the game?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Noob question. First game I've tried to play on Linux. The Amnesia Dark Descent Demo. Installed, expected a launch icon or something. All I have is a folder with files. I have no idea how to actually launch the game, so how is this done? Latest Ubuntu, BTW.
(09-21-2012, 09:35 PM)User1 Wrote: [ -> ]Noob question. First game I've tried to play on Linux. The Amnesia Dark Descent Demo. Installed, expected a launch icon or something. All I have is a folder with files. I have no idea how to actually launch the game, so how is this done? Latest Ubuntu, BTW.
It should have installed a desktop menu under the Games menu.. check /usr/local/share/applications/AmnesiaDemo.desktop (or search for that desktop file on your system).

Otherwise just run the AmnesiaDemo.bin.x86 (or .x86_64 for 64bi).
I managed to figure it out. Apparently the .Desktop folder was in the main AmnesiaDemo folder located under Home Folder. I couldn't launch it though until I chmod it. Now, for the future (like if I decide to purchase the full game), is there a way I can install properly so I get it under the game folder with a desktop icon and proper permissions set?

Thanks
The installer puts a copy in the game folder, AND uses the freedesktop xdg-desktop-menu to install it. Now there are some known issues with the older installer (the one used for the Amnesia demo) and newer ubuntu system, specifically when installing in a system folder. The newer installer which was used to package the latest Amnesia (full version) as well as close to a dozen other games I've ported for the Humble Bundle have worked flawlessly on Ubuntu 12.04. So I don't think you'll have any issues..

I should probably rebuild the Amnesia demo installer to resolve the issue you described here.