Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: [C#] Need some help setting goals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I've been learning it and I can almost do the traditional "Hello World!" program by heat. Anyway I need a goal to work towards so I can practice. Eventually I would like to make a 3D video game but that is a long time to go...
...Erm, So what exactly do you want from us?
Do you want to write your own 3D engine? Or do you want to use C# to code in an existing one? I don't know much about coding but thats the first question you should think about imo Wink
Isn't wanting to make a 3D videogame a goal? Wink
Not to insult you again, darkely (which was accidental), but you'll need more information.
It's a long, long journey from Hello World to video game engine.

I'd tinker around with modding and learning complicated stuff first before even embarking on engine creation.
Well that's just it I get most of the basic stuff. However I have no idea where I would start on making an engine...

Hirnwirbel: I want to make it from the ground up - so it would be my own
Chronofox: what should I look into modding? Like what game?
Amnesia.
Quote: Hirnwirbel: I want to make it from the ground up - so it would be my own
Okay... don't really see the point as there are more than enough 3D engines out there - also those that only provide you with the basics of displaying 3D objects and let you code everything else from scratch - but if that's what you want then I'd say you have your goal, right?

Like I said, I don't know much about programming, but I believe that some research into OpenGL might be what you need. So go ahead then - to the Googlemachine with you! Big Grin
Hey Hirnwirbel I've ben thinking it over about the 3D engine thing for a bit and how I said I wanted to build it from the ground up - thikijng about that does seem like a dull move considering there are plenty of others.

The engine would need...

-First Person
-Very smooth (able to handle a lot going on at once)
-[Assuming the rig. is able] needs to be able to maintain 55-60FPS constantly
Pages: 1 2