Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: black plague keeps crashing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi. I recently bought Amnesia and the Penumbra series off of Steam. I've played the demos for all three games in the past and they worked absolutely fine.
I tried to play Black Plague this evening. I started a new game, got past the first cutscene, and everything was fine. However, once I tried to turn on the glowstick the game crashed. I tried to play the game again a few more times but it crashed again and again. It wasn't always because of the glowstick- one time I had just gone into the vent and then it crashed, and another time I was trying to close the Steam menu I had opened and it crashed. I kept getting the same message. It said the following:
"The cause of the crash is probably one of the following:
1. You do not have the latest drivers for your graphics card
2. You do not have the latest drivers for your sound card
3. You have made a setting that your computer does not like. To reset settings, go to Documents/Penumbra/Black Plague/ and delete settings.cfg in the correct episode folder.

Exception Reason
penumbra.exe caused an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in module penumbra.exe at 001B:00535C4F"

I don't understand what the problem is though. The demo ran just fine, and I can run Amnesia (which i'm pretty certain needed better graphics than penumbra did) just fine, so why won't Black Plague work?

Any and all help greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Have you tried doing any of the things listed?
Do a file integrity check on the game in Steam, sounds as if you might by missing some files.
Sounds like a pirated copy to me but I could be wrong.
Nope, seems like he has it from Steam in OP. Could be missing files, or this Steam thing could be a lie (don't hit me for that, I've seen that kind of thing happen before.)
(10-02-2012, 07:16 AM)jens Wrote: [ -> ]Do a file integrity check on the game in Steam, sounds as if you might by missing some files.
I did a file integrity check and it seems to have worked. Thanks! c:
Seems like Steam does not always download properly. Glad it worked.