Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Can't play Penumbra Overture
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So i bought Penumbra Overture yesterday, downloaded it and attempted to play it.
It would say "Preparing Penumbra Overture" And i would have to wait for several minutes before it would finish, and i would get a "Not Responding" screen, then that would go away and it would say that Penumbra was unavailable. So i tried several times after, then it game me an installation link, something like OpenAl or something like that, i can't remember, so i installed it. It now starts up, and goes to the menu, where i can start the game, watch the opening video, but as soon as we finish loading after the video. The screen remains black.
Then a "Not Responding" thing will pop up, and I say wait until it responds, and it never does. So i exit it, and try again and try again, only once it made it far enough to start the music for the scene and start to show the picture. Then froze.
What can i do to fix this?? I'm using one of these:
[url]http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-One-D2...+one+d255e[/url]

And it has an Intell Atom N455 (1.66GHz, 512KB Cache) And i was told it could play and handle it.
Is it something i need to download, or update or what?
Thank you for any help you give, I would REALLY like to play it.
Have you tried updating your card's drivers?

Mind you, tell us the type of GPU that you have.
No i have not.. If you would so kindly as advise me how to do that, that would be great, sorry, i don't always have to do his kind of thing. I also beleive i am running Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3150.
OpenGL 1.5.

That's the bare minimum. And it looks like the shaders are the problem (someone had that). That's a card limitation.

I ain't certain if you can play the game this way.

Try here.
I cannot find an OpenGL 1.5 on there, is there somewhere else i can download it or do i need to download this: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_D...4&lang=eng.
Try that.

And "OpenGL 1.5" is what the card supports (I looked its "specs" up, to see more details about it). Which is the bare minimum needed for Penumbra to start.
It didn't work the first time, it downloaded, then went to the wizard thing to install it and a window popped up saying it couldn't install or something, and went away.. I'm trying again, but what was that about?

It says it again. "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from this computers manufacturer.

Setup will exit"
What do i do?
(10-02-2012, 09:16 PM)linkwolfy Wrote: [ -> ]It didn't work the first time, it downloaded, then went to the wizard thing to install it and a window popped up saying it couldn't install or something, and went away.. I'm trying again, but what was that about?

It says it again. "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from this computers manufacturer.

Setup will exit"
What do i do?
i have diffrent problem than you i have gma 3100 and when i click new game black screen after cutscene...

(10-02-2012, 09:35 PM)toni112007 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-02-2012, 09:16 PM)linkwolfy Wrote: [ -> ]It didn't work the first time, it downloaded, then went to the wizard thing to install it and a window popped up saying it couldn't install or something, and went away.. I'm trying again, but what was that about?

Setup will exit"
What do i do?
i have diffrent problem than you i have gma 3100 and when i click new game black screen after cutscene...
I will wait till sherry 1.3 modded driver releases for xp...maybe with modded driver i could play Tongue
i will try all drivers Smile
Yeah, i get the black screen too, it's really agitating.
Check out these two threads plutomaniac made last year.
They are primarily made for Amnesia: The Dark Descent, but I believe you might find something out of them as well.

Here are the links:

[AMD+Intel HD] Laptop OpenGL Troubleshooting Guide

[General] Graphics Cards Troubleshooting Guide
Pages: 1 2 3