Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Should Amnesia require workshop? REPLY ON LINK PLS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I don't think it does.

This is briefly why I don't want workshop for amnesia:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/57300/disc...5528200#p2

Can you guys reply there your ideas instead of doing it here?
I want to over-pass the people who say "YES" without thinking.

You can even say i'm wrong, just explain it. But i'm very afraid of the CSs becoming worse and worse.
Quote: I am afraid including a whole public workshop would make Amnesia more of a mainstream game
I don't get it. You think Amnesia is some sort of UG hipster game and it isn't already a mainstream game? Big Grin
And what's wrong with amnesia being mainstream? More visibility and money to Frictional .
To be honest, I'm not really into that whole steam workshop thingey. Is it a tool for creating content and sharing it or just sharing? If it's an editor I don't really see the point; FG have given us all the tools we need so I don't see why it should be made more accessible.
(12-15-2012, 02:09 PM)Deep One Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote: I am afraid including a whole public workshop would make Amnesia more of a mainstream game
I don't get it. You think Amnesia is some sort of UG hipster game and it isn't already a mainstream game? Big Grin
And what's wrong with amnesia being mainstream? More visibility and money to Frictional .
Yeah but you know not good things always happen when a game becomes mainstream.
Anyways I am still contrary to workshop, seeing what's happening on here. Nobody would even know about FG forum and would maybe stick to workshop comment section if someone want some technical support instead of going here. :/
(12-15-2012, 02:30 PM)Hardarm Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-15-2012, 02:09 PM)Deep One Wrote: [ -> ]
Yeah but you know not good things always happen when a game becomes mainstream.
Anyways I am still contrary to workshop, seeing what's happening on here. Nobody would even know about FG forum and would maybe stick to workshop comment section if someone want some technical support instead of going here. :/
So?
Could someone please explain to me what a Steam workshop is? Is it like a community platform for sharing Mods and Tutorials? A simple Forum? A program that integrates the mod tools that come with the game directly into the Steam interface?
It's basically for distribution of mods and maps. For example, if you want to play community-made Portal 2 maps, you go to the Workshop, find a map/series of maps you want to play and click "subscribe". Steam then downloads the maps on your computer and you can start the game and play them.

The only real problem with Workshop integration would be if it brings Frictional Games enough income to be worthwhile. The game's already been out for a couple of years, it's been in a Humble Bundle, and installing custom stories is easy to begin with (download to custom stories folder, play). Workshop integration might also divert custom story makers away from these forums to Steam's equivalent.

By the way, what's with the title? Require? None of the games require Workshop, it's just for easy distribution.
I've read somewhere that Workshop doesn't support OpenGL, is that true?
I don't think Workshop would work for Amnesia. It might seem like a good idea but in the end it'd just be a mess. Look at the hub for the game. Look at some of the screenshots.

Now after you do that, look me in eye and tell me it'd be a good idea.
It obviously wouldn't as good as the type of submissions you see for Portal 2, Team Fortress 2 or Skyrim, but it would still be a good way for people's custom stories to get played.

Edit: Because, you know... Steam is more known than these forums.
Pages: 1 2