Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: What are you reading right now?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
(01-10-2013, 03:47 PM)BAndrew Wrote: [ -> ]A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking

Great freaking book. I should re-read it one of these days.
(01-04-2013, 08:40 AM)failedALIAS Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2013, 07:59 AM)Chronofox Wrote: [ -> ]Only page 50, unfortunately. They're at this truck with dead bodies inside.

It's not too late to back out.
So I just finished the book today.

I liked how the entire book was pretty much a thought experiment on how society would be like without a biosphere. It's highly improbable, as I can't imagine how the earth could ever be reduced to a state where there is not a single living plant or animal. Even if we had nuclear warfare, there should still be some plants and animals remaining. The other possibility is a devastating meteor strike, but approaching bodies in space should be detectable and maybe scientists could divert their courses with rockets.

There were some disgusting scenes, like that underground cellar where a bunch of cannibals had locked themselves up to escape the bandits. Some of the aesthetics of the towns and the road, interestingly enough, remind me of Silent Hill, especially when McCarthy gives description to the snow. But I disliked the ending of the novel, which was pretty much a deus ex machina. The boy is pretty unbelievably lucky if he found someone nice to take him in days after his father perishes. There is also no conclusion as to whether or not society can sustain itself in the coming years, which would be interesting to find out (the bit about the fish is much too vague). I don't like it when a novel ends on a "You figure out the rest." The Road had a fascinating premise, but it just left the reader hanging.

Overall not my favourite dystopia due to its improbability, but still a good book for the many touching scenes (especially towards the ending) as well as interesting concepts.
Recently finished reading Steve Alten's "The Loch". Although the story is fictional, it has an interesting theory as to Nessie's species.
I like books from the Dresden files.
(02-05-2013, 02:32 AM)Aldighieri Wrote: [ -> ]I like books from the Dresden files.

What are the Dresden files? I haven't heard of them.
(02-05-2013, 02:35 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2013, 02:32 AM)Aldighieri Wrote: [ -> ]I like books from the Dresden files.

It's a series of Detective stories that involve a lot of supernatural themes. Pretty interesting stuff.

http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden
(02-05-2013, 03:07 AM)Aldighieri Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2013, 02:35 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote: [ -> ]

It's a series of Detective stories that involve a lot of supernatural themes. Pretty interesting stuff.

http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden

Sounds neat, thanks for the info Smile
Quote: Sounds neat, thanks for the info
The TV series looks like it sucks though. They got all of the major features of the main characters wrong.(One of them is supposed to be a talking skull, but he has an actual human actor. Why the HELL do they make these changes?!? It doesn't make the character more accessible, it makes him WRONG!)

So yeah, stay away from that shit. But the books are really good.
I'm not reading anything at the time.... Waiting for my "God's Demon" copy to arrive :/
Bump Testa.

The Sorrows of Young Werther by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13