Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Penumbra: Overture via Steam: won't start in higher resolution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I just bought the Penumbra series in native linux Steam on Ubuntu.
It started normally on 800x600, so I set it in-game to 1920x1080, my monitor's native resolution. The game asked me to restart, so I quit the game. Exiting the game did not brought me to a 800x600 desktop, so I set the resolution manually and restarted the game. It started again on 800x600, so I did the entire process again. Now when I try to start the game, it shows me a mouse cursor over a black screen (at 800x600), and the only way to quit is to execute kill -9 from a terminal.

How can I solve this issue?

I'm using Ubuntu 12.10 on a rather new computer (is complete spec necessary?). I use the native nVidia graphics driver. In the past I was able to run native Amnesia with no issues.
Try editing the resolution in the ~/.frictionalgames/Penumbra/Overture/settings.cfg file. if it doesn't exist, then the game is for some reason not exiting correctly, and you'll have to copy the default from the game directories config folder (default_settings.cfg).
I changed the resolution to 800x600 and the game loaded correctly. Then I tried a few more resolutions and they all worked and reset the desktop resolution correctly on exit. 1920x1080 works too, so it seems all works correctly now.

Thanks!