Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Restricted Sprint?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
This is just a discussion about the restricting the sprint in A:AMFP

I can't remeber if the sprint was restricted in TDD (hardly pressed shift, was too busy evading corpses and hiding in my own sweat), if there wasn't any I think there should be one in AAFMP. The reason why is because I want players to have another fear to consider while playing; can't sprint here maybe there is a monster around the corner, oh no I'm out of sprint I'm toast now. When I watch Let's plays these days all I see is prepubertal kids for the most part, scared outta their wits keeping the lantern up 99% of the time while playing (even in lit areas) complaining about the rate the oil runs out and just plainly holding down shit at a constant while screaming, loudly.

Keeping the fear of pressing the shift button up all the time while not just give me another reason to be afraid, but it will put a stop to the annoying kids that outrun corpses when you really, really, REALLY don't want them to.

Discuss
This should go in the Amnesia Discussion section, Barret.
Another Suggestion. If the player runs whenever a monster is in the area, the monster can hear the sound and the player will be totally like ("Wait, i can't run. If i do, that guy will hear me. OH SHIT!")
(03-08-2013, 05:26 AM)Chronofox Wrote: [ -> ]This should go in the Amnesia Discussion section, Barret.

Glad to see we got some FF7 players/fans out there.
My bad will request a move from a moderator, or if I can do it myself please inform me, also

How the fudge do I put down a signature, I have some great barret quotes to put down there
(03-08-2013, 05:32 AM)3dge Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-08-2013, 05:26 AM)Chronofox Wrote: [ -> ]This should go in the Amnesia Discussion section, Barret.

My bad will request a move from a moderator, or if I can do it myself please inform me, also

How the fudge do I put down a signature, I have some great barret quotes to put down there

You need to get a specific amount of posts (which, i forgot how many it is.)to make the "Change Signature" part in the User CP to show up.
(03-08-2013, 05:37 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-08-2013, 05:32 AM)3dge Wrote: [ -> ]

You need to get a specific amount of posts (which, i forgot how many it is.)to make the "Change Signature" part in the User CP to show up.
Ah of course, I've been looking all over for that damn thing. Liked your suggestion btw, adding a segment where the footsteps sounds are really loud if you step in a puddle of water, step on a piece of wood, which the corpse hears and is dragged towards it. That would surely retract my genital to the insides of my bladder
I don't think so. Not only is encumbrance and fatigue one of the most annoying features in games (it has absolutely no place in games - if I want to feel encumbered I'll go run a marathon while carrying a washing machine), it makes literally no sense within the horror idiom. The human body is capable of almost anything in times of intense fear - if you're running away from a monster you simply are not going to stop sprinting and suddenly start walking because of a want for energy. It's possible to completely wear out your muscles (to the point where you will be permanently injured) but the body certainly prefers that to dying - so you keep going for as long as physically possible.
(03-08-2013, 05:28 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: [ -> ]Another Suggestion. If the player runs whenever a monster is in the area, the monster can hear the sound and the player will be totally like ("Wait, i can't run. If i do, that guy will hear me. OH SHIT!")

its already there, silly Smile
(03-08-2013, 12:57 PM)Bridge Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think so. Not only is encumbrance and fatigue one of the most annoying features in games (it has absolutely no place in games - if I want to feel encumbered I'll go run a marathon while carrying a washing machine), it makes literally no sense within the horror idiom. The human body is capable of almost anything in times of intense fear - if you're running away from a monster you simply are not going to stop sprinting and suddenly start walking because of a want for energy. It's possible to completely wear out your muscles (to the point where you will be permanently injured) but the body certainly prefers that to dying - so you keep going for as long as physically possible.

This is all true, so unrestriced sprint whilst being chased, however the monster might still hear you if you are sprinting away.

However, when not being chased by a monster I would feel better if it was reduced down to at least a jog.
Unless the monster is hindered in any way (e.g. objects in the way; going around corners; etc), it's pointless to run away from a monster in Amnesia. Monsters run faster than the player, and the player loses speed when taking a lot of damage. Running, therefore, is a false sense of security in Amnesia.
Pages: 1 2 3 4