Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Water reflecting abyss?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK, you know that weird trailing effect you get if at any point in your level the player can see the "abyss" (meaning the nothingness at the edge of a map)

Well I'm getting that effect on my water for some reason. I can't figure out why other than the water not reflecting the ceiling and instead reflecting the abyss. I tried putting black planes outside my level and that fixes it but it oddly causes my framerate to freeze up to about 1 frame per 10 seconds and cause objects to randomly fly around. Freaky. Anyway here's a screenshot.

Spoiler below!
[Image: 2013-04-11_00001.jpg]
Have you tried enabling a skybox in your Level Editor, even just as a color? If you cannot see the outside from where you are, which it looks that way on your image, why not try just making it black?
That got rid of the trailing, but it still leaves a weird box in the water that immediately vanishes once I get close to it.

Spoiler below!
[Image: 2013-04-11_00002.jpg]

Edit: I just changed the water texture from Morgue to ArchiveCellar and it looks fine now. I guess the Morgue water texture is just borked somehow. Thanks Smile
It seems like some walls/ceillings forbid reflection (It means that it doesn't allow for it to be reflected/is invisible when reflected.)
(04-11-2013, 03:34 PM)DeAngelo Wrote: [ -> ]That got rid of the trailing, but it still leaves a weird box in the water that immediately vanishes once I get close to it.

Spoiler below!
[Image: 2013-04-11_00002.jpg]

Edit: I just changed the water texture from Morgue to ArchiveCellar and it looks fine now. I guess the Morgue water texture is just borked somehow. Thanks Smile
It can have to do with cubemaps and texture size on the plane - you could try creating a copy of that water material, but without a cubemap.