Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(05-16-2013, 11:20 AM)Bridge Wrote: [ -> ]Calm down, man. First of all, that is simply not true. There are plenty of games that do not have a release date that are just as eagerly awaited (if not more - Watch Dogs springs to mind). Second, the game is still in post-production and Frictional obviously do not feel they can safely pick a release date at this time. To say they don't respect their fans is absurd, in fact they respect their fans more than most other companies. Just be patient, it will come out eventually.

I agree with you completely, but....

http://gematsu.com/2013/04/watch-dogs-release-date-set

Just a minor correction Wink
(05-16-2013, 12:23 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-16-2013, 11:20 AM)Bridge Wrote: [ -> ]Calm down, man. First of all, that is simply not true. There are plenty of games that do not have a release date that are just as eagerly awaited (if not more - Watch Dogs springs to mind). Second, the game is still in post-production and Frictional obviously do not feel they can safely pick a release date at this time. To say they don't respect their fans is absurd, in fact they respect their fans more than most other companies. Just be patient, it will come out eventually.

I agree with you completely, but....

http://gematsu.com/2013/04/watch-dogs-release-date-set

Just a minor correction Wink

Oh, my mistake.
(05-16-2013, 05:14 AM)Jack OLantern Wrote: [ -> ]Somewhat disappointed to hear that they cut stuff out for going "too far".
Hopefully we'll get some sort of insight into what that stuff was and I'll be forced to eat my words.

I'm not. In all honesty, excessive exploitation of sensitive themes for the purpose of horror (of course, I'm assuming that that's what it is, but I don't think that's unreasonable since it's one of the most effective and common horror techniques) - that's a major mood-breaker for me. For me, successful interaction with a game that wants me to take it seriously is based in an unspoken mutual agreement of respect between player and creator. I want - no, I expect - the game to recognize my moral boundaries and approach them with care and consideration. If a game doesn't take me seriously, then I won't take it seriously, either.

That's why I hold a deep respect for Amnesia and its creators. It takes an unselfish approach to sensitive issues - such as torture and human death - and acknowledges them for what they are.

EDIT: So that said, it often surprises me to read some of the posts here on this forum requesting more blood, more guts, more cruelty, and I also recall someone mentioning how awesome it would be if we were forced to hide among the corpses in the morgue. These ideas seem so numerous and accepted by everyone, but I just can't relate to them at all. Doesn't anyone at all feel the same? Smile
(05-16-2013, 12:41 PM)MyRedNeptune Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-16-2013, 05:14 AM)Jack OLantern Wrote: [ -> ]Somewhat disappointed to hear that they cut stuff out for going "too far".
Hopefully we'll get some sort of insight into what that stuff was and I'll be forced to eat my words.

I'm not. In all honesty, excessive exploitation of sensitive themes for the purpose of horror (of course, I'm assuming that that's what it is, but I don't think that's unreasonable since it's one of the most effective and common horror techniques) - that's a major mood-breaker for me. For me, successful interaction with a game that wants me to take it seriously is based in an unspoken mutual agreement of respect between player and creator. I want - no, I expect - the game to recognize my moral boundaries and approach them with care and consideration. If a game doesn't take me seriously, then I won't take it seriously, either.

That's why I hold a deep respect for Amnesia and its creators. It takes an unselfish approach to sensitive issues - such as torture and human death - and acknowledges them for what they are.

EDIT: So that said, it often surprises me to read some of the posts here on this forum requesting more blood, more guts, more cruelty, and I also recall someone mentioning how awesome it would be if we were forced to hide among the corpses in the morgue. These ideas seem so shared by everyone, but I just can't relate to them at all. Doesn't anyone at all feel the same? Smile

In a sense. Personally, I think absolutely nothing is off limits when it comes to art - however, like you I do expect the game to take its themes seriously and use them well. I don't think it's so much about the game taking into account my moral compass as much as the game taking into account its own, if that makes sense (I'm sure it doesn't). Pointless exploitation is very boring and horrific scenes of gore just for shock value comes across to me as offensive to the viewer. That's not to say I find gore to be repulsive (I barely react to it anymore), but that the only times when it does frighten me is when it's used to convey some other message which can usually be pretty powerful. So I guess if you reword your post a little we would be agreed.
(05-16-2013, 12:58 PM)Bridge Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think it's so much about the game taking into account my moral compass as much as the game taking into account its own, if that makes sense (I'm sure it doesn't).

Ha, this is an interesting way to look at it. Maybe this is what I actually think as well (don't ask... sometimes it's hard for one to lay finger on even one's own views).

I'll have to think about that. Smile
In a recent interview Dan expanded a little bit more on the plot:

Quote:It’s hard to say too much without giving it all away. You are a rich Victorian industrialist at the turn of the new century, awaking from terrible nightmares and fever to find your children are missing. The game is essentially your search to find them. With Mandus, we’ve tried to create a really deep and rounded character, without the kind of black and white personality and morality you normally get in games. A character the player can identify with. I think that identification is really super important to a deep and nerve-shredding horror.

Am I late to the party or is the idea that you're searching for your missing kids a part of the plot previously unknown? It's entirely possible I just haven't been paying attention...
Good find, yet in the trailers they seem to be running from you (could be just FG making the trailer a little more spooky though). Any thoughts there?
(05-16-2013, 02:09 PM)ROMul8r Wrote: [ -> ]Good find, yet in the trailers they seem to be running from you (could be just FG making the trailer a little more spooky though). Any thoughts there?

Maybe they're afraid of Oswald for some reason
(05-16-2013, 02:37 PM)Deep One Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-16-2013, 02:09 PM)ROMul8r Wrote: [ -> ]Good find, yet in the trailers they seem to be running from you (could be just FG making the trailer a little more spooky though). Any thoughts there?

Maybe because he's eating them or he got a big c*ck!
(05-16-2013, 02:44 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-16-2013, 02:37 PM)Deep One Wrote: [ -> ]

Maybe because he's eating them or he got a big c*ck!

are you implying that Oswald is a kiddy fiddler?