Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(06-23-2013, 12:36 AM)Bonehead Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-23-2013, 12:34 AM)Wooderson Wrote: [ -> ]Regardless, CS's were a massive part of the game and it kept Amnesia alive for a long time and played a big role in its success.

This, Bridge. I'll buy it on a steam sale when it's crazy cheap. Horror games aren't something you can play more than once and still have fun. You know where EVERYTHING is coming from. Plus with the custom campaigns playing such a big role in TDD you'd think they would've though this through. I'm not buying a mod. Sorry. I've seen the trailers, the game uses LOTS of the same entites and textures. Most of the game came straight from TDD. Now I just feel like they're advertising a custom campaign created by a more experienced team. I hope and pray they release it at a later date, until then, I won't be buying. I'm sure I'm not the only one either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ7NrApups8
(06-23-2013, 12:46 AM)droog Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-23-2013, 12:23 AM)sasaluvsamnesia7 Wrote: [ -> ]Haven't been on here in weeks, and I am probably one of the few Amnesia players out there who's not downloaded or played a single Custom Story, and don't care if it's available for this game or not.

Also, awesome tweet from Dan, Summer just started where I am and I can't wait to be scared! I don't want to wait until Halloween.

I never played a custom story, too. Never really wanted to see some naked corpses jumping out of cupboards. So I don't care about CS support, I just want a epic, disturbing, dark story, which I am sure we will get.

Yeah, every custom story has flying naked guys...
(06-23-2013, 12:42 AM)Bridge Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-23-2013, 12:34 AM)Wooderson Wrote: [ -> ]Regardless, CS's were a massive part of the game and it kept Amnesia alive for a long time and played a big role in its success.

This, Bridge. I'll buy it on a steam sale when it's crazy cheap. Horror games aren't something you can play more than once and still have fun. You know where EVERYTHING is coming from. Plus with the custom campaigns playing such a big role in TDD you'd think they would've though this through. I'm not buying a mod. Sorry. I've seen the trailers, the game uses LOTS of the same entites and textures. Most of the game came straight from TDD. Now I just feel like they're advertising a custom campaign created by a more experienced team. I hope and pray they release it at a later date, until then, I won't be buying. I'm sure I'm not the only one either.

And I ask again, do you care nothing about the story or gameplay or anything aside from modding capabilities (adding now replay value)?

EDIT: Because I have, for all intents and purposes, only played Amnesia once and I haven't played a single custom story. I don't regret buying it at full price (which is quite modest to begin with) for a second.

And there is nothing wrong with what you've done. You will never hear me saying that is a bad thing. I do care for story and what not, but with 2 delays, lack of custom story support, and lack of tools to create with... TDD set the standard, I don't understand why developers take LOVED things AWAY in sequels. On top of all that, it's been stated that AAMFP will be a shorter experience than TDD. So.. Shorter.. less replayability, removal of cs support, removal of development tools... No thanks. Just seems like a custom story to me. I'll watch a let's play. Or buy it when it's cheaper. Or I'll buy it for full price if they actually decide to release the tweaked modding tools.
(06-23-2013, 12:53 AM)Bonehead Wrote: [ -> ]

And I ask again, do you care nothing about the story or gameplay or anything aside from modding capabilities (adding now replay value)?

EDIT: Because I have, for all intents and purposes, only played Amnesia once and I haven't played a single custom story. I don't regret buying it at full price (which is quite modest to begin with) for a second.

And there is nothing wrong with what you've done. You will never hear me saying that is a bad thing. I do care for story and what not, but with 2 delays, lack of custom story support, and lack of tools to create with... TDD set the standard, I don't understand why developers take LOVED things AWAY in sequels. On top of all that, it's been stated that AAMFP will be a shorter experience than TDD. So.. Shorter.. less replayability, removal of cs support, removal of development tools... No thanks. Just seems like a custom story to me. I'll watch a let's play. Or buy it when it's cheaper. Or I'll buy it for full price if they actually decide to release the tweaked modding tools.

To each his own. I have doubts about the game myself but I want to experience it before passing judgement.
(06-23-2013, 12:55 AM)Bridge Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-23-2013, 12:53 AM)Bonehead Wrote: [ -> ]

To each his own. I have doubts about the game myself but I want to experience it before passing judgement.

See I will agree with you there. This may be because I just discovered all this. The main reason I'm upset is because I've finally sat down and forced myself to learn all of the HPL engine. I self taught myself scripting with help from some friends and started making the base ground of a custom campaign in hopes of learning enough before AAMFP comes out so I can make something better. Mainly because pigs looks MUCH scarier than the first. It just doesnt make sense to me. So many developers removing things that were in previous installments that were very loved by many, or removing things that made them so big in the first place. I just kind of threw a stick in my gears honestly. I've always been weary about outsourced games.. but I was willing to look past it for frictional and the amnesia series.. but this is kind of jarring.
I think not having CS support is a big mistake considering it's the same engine and couldn't be too terribly hard to implement, and especially for how exponentially CS's extended TDD's playtime.

That being said I think the reason they're not having CS in aamfp is because they still don't consider aamfp to be as much a fully-fledged game as TDD. It was originally a smaller, experimental game set in the TDD universe, not a true TDD sequel. Starting with this vision they wouldn't have planned for CS's, and, as the game grew to become something else, they stayed with their original decision not to have CS's.
No, no, it's just one point I noticed. I watched serveral let's plays of custom stories, but I really don't get what's so cool about it. I can imagine, that it's fun to create an own story but playing one? 90% of the 'scary moments' was just jump scare based, senseless shit (suddenly appearing corpses or heads, or whatever). So personally I will not miss this feature in AAMFP.
It's a bummer and all but nothing that really gets me upset. I thought it was cool that they supported modding with the first game but never actually got around to playing any custom stories or making any myself. I was more interested in the core game and have no regrets in paying full price and purchasing it for some friends. Despite the fact that I never fully played through the game more than once.

One playthrough and loading up some checkpoints was enough for me to get my money's worth. And I will be pre-purchasing Pigs the moment it's available.
Jens
Quote:"Due to massive feedback on this front we decided to bring CS support back to AMFP, unfortunately, this pushes the release date to q4 of 2103. Thanks for your patience."

What are you ready to sacrifice for CS support?
(06-23-2013, 01:24 AM)droog Wrote: [ -> ]No, no, it's just one point I noticed. I watched serveral let's plays of custom stories, but I really don't get what's so cool about it. I can imagine, that it's fun to create an own story but playing one? 90% of the 'scary moments' was just jump scare based, senseless shit (suddenly appearing corpses or heads, or whatever). So personally I will not miss this feature in AAMFP.

You'd be right, but on the very odd/off occasion, people do *actually* make ones that are creepy. Never the same as ATDD but closer.