Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(06-23-2013, 03:33 AM)Kein Wrote: [ -> ]Jens
Quote:"Due to massive feedback on this front we decided to bring CS support back to AMFP, unfortunately, this pushes the release date to q4 of 2103. Thanks for your patience."

What are you ready to sacrifice for CS support?

Haha source? Tongue
(06-23-2013, 12:53 AM)Deep One Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-23-2013, 12:46 AM)droog Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-23-2013, 12:23 AM)sasaluvsamnesia7 Wrote: [ -> ]Haven't been on here in weeks, and I am probably one of the few Amnesia players out there who's not downloaded or played a single Custom Story, and don't care if it's available for this game or not.

Also, awesome tweet from Dan, Summer just started where I am and I can't wait to be scared! I don't want to wait until Halloween.

I never played a custom story, too. Never really wanted to see some naked corpses jumping out of cupboards. So I don't care about CS support, I just want a epic, disturbing, dark story, which I am sure we will get.

Yeah, every custom story has flying naked guys...

Well I was planning on creating an entire set of new assets to create a more serious project. I hate the flying naked guys, I have also been planning custom monsters that my brother has started sculpting in Zbrush for this project him and I wanted to make in the modified engine.

Of course they decide not to release it.
On the other hand, they hadn't planned on releasing it for TDD and yet...
(06-23-2013, 07:05 AM)felixmole Wrote: [ -> ]On the other hand, they hadn't planned on releasing it for TDD and yet...

As Paddy pointed out before:

(06-21-2013, 04:16 PM)Paddy Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not so sure it's a matter of time/resources. In a 2012 blog post Thomas said that the original game's CS support was a last-minute, tacked-on feature. If that's the case it can't have taken THAT much time/money to make it work. The fact that the HPL2 engine was built with CS support already integrated into it before AAMFP came into being suggests there might have been a technical reason for removing the feature from HPL2.5. Maybe whatever the development team wanted to do required some adjustments to the code which, as a by-product, encroached on the stability of the CS system.

Click here to read the blog post in question. The following paragraph is with reference to CS support:

Thomas Wrote:When we created the possibility of custom stories, it was something we thought of very late and I think Luis implemented it in less than a day. We put a few days on adding documentation our wiki as well, but all in all, it was a tiny effort compared to the rest of the game.

A single team member managed to implement CS support in less than a day, and he did it nearly 3 years ago.

On the same topic Thomas also said:

Thoma Wrote:It is quite clear that allowing users to create content is a feature worth putting time into.

Someone needs to remind that boy of his own words! Tongue
Perhaps they removed it because they disapproved of all the flying naked Jesuses and PewdiePie shenanigans. You have to admit it was a bit of an insult to the legacy of the game. I haven't actually played any custom stories that I felt payed sufficient justice to the original game...and the few that came close were full conversions.

At any rate, I understand the disappointment but I think you're acting out of temper and jumping the gun a bit. We've seen very little content of the game so far. It's not just about a few visual props. For example, they've apparently tweaked the monster AI to far more terrifyingly unpredictable levels. I don't know about you but I'm excited to experience this for myself. Seems a pity you would dismiss what could potentially be the greatest horror game in years just because you're pissed about a lack of custom content.

I also think the fact that they've delayed this thing so much says something about how much work they've put into it. I very much doubt it will turn out to resemble just another custom story.
(06-23-2013, 12:36 AM)Bonehead Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-23-2013, 12:34 AM)Wooderson Wrote: [ -> ]Regardless, CS's were a massive part of the game and it kept Amnesia alive for a long time and played a big role in its success.

This, Bridge. I'll buy it on a steam sale when it's crazy cheap. Horror games aren't something you can play more than once and still have fun. You know where EVERYTHING is coming from. Plus with the custom campaigns playing such a big role in TDD you'd think they would've though this through. I'm not buying a mod. Sorry. I've seen the trailers, the game uses LOTS of the same entites and textures. Most of the game came straight from TDD. Now I just feel like they're advertising a custom campaign created by a more experienced team. I hope and pray they release it at a later date, until then, I won't be buying. I'm sure I'm not the only one either.

A little bit of insider info for you, the game does not use alot of old assets anymore, almost everything has been replaced.

You wouldn't be buying a mod.
(06-23-2013, 01:24 AM)droog Wrote: [ -> ]90% of the 'scary moments' was just jump scare based, senseless shit (suddenly appearing corpses or heads, or whatever). So personally I will not miss this feature in AAMFP.

you're watching the wrong videos. Youtubers play those stories on purpose because there's weird stuff happening and it's a lot more "entertaining"

Some CS are VERY well made and offer a fun new experience
I don't see how the modding experience would be so different in AAMFP than in TDD. It's the same engine running the game, and from what I've learned the new HPL wouldn't be such a big difference either. What exactly is there that you want to do in a mod for AAMFP that you can't do in TDD?
(06-23-2013, 11:39 AM)Wapez Wrote: [ -> ]What exactly is there that you want to do in a mod for AAMFP that you can't do in TDD?

AAMFP has:

1. Tweaked monster AI
2. New models and textures
3. Tweaked lighting system (I might be wrong)

and the list goes on
Just be patient for their next full fledged sci-fi game. They will probably implement CS in there.
AAMFP is basically the same as TDD, just some minor tweaks and stuff. What you'll probably be able to do, is grab the textures/models from AAMFP and use them for new TDD custom stories.