Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've also been wondering lately about the lantern in A Machine For Pigs. From what I've seen so far, it looks like it's not the same type of lantern used in The Dark Descent. Not powered by fuel/oil, rather just an electric lantern. From this image alone found on the aamfp site:

http://www.aamfp.com/images/201210_aamfp...shot_1.jpg

It looks like it would just take a normal bulb or powered by electricity, which got me thinking. Will we have a constant 100% power source for our lantern in A Machine For Pigs and never have to worry about it running out? I really hope not, it takes away a lot of the desperation factor of the game and getting stuck in a horrendous situation of facing a new unfamiliar area, pitch black, and you have no light to supply you with even the slightest bit of comfort.

I liked the idea of always praying for any bit of lantern oil you could find, and not having the light to comfort you always as a crutch. Was the lantern for aamfp ever explained and if not what are other people's thoughts/observations on this?
(08-03-2013, 09:09 PM)Magnum66 Wrote: [ -> ]I've also been wondering lately about the lantern in A Machine For Pigs. From what I've seen so far, it looks like it's not the same type of lantern used in The Dark Descent. Not powered by fuel/oil, rather just an electric lantern. From this image alone found on the aamfp site:

It looks like it would just take a normal bulb or powered by electricity, which got me thinking. Will we have a constant 100% power source for our lantern in A Machine For Pigs and never have to worry about it running out? I really hope not, it takes away a lot of the desperation factor of the game and getting stuck in a horrendous situation of facing a new unfamiliar area, pitch black, and you have no light to supply you with even the slightest bit of comfort.

I liked the idea of always praying for any bit of lantern oil you could find, and not having the light to comfort you always as a crutch. Was the lantern for aamfp ever explained and if not what are other people's thoughts/observations on this?

I think that we need to plug it into some power source for feeding it.
(08-03-2013, 09:09 PM)Magnum66 Wrote: [ -> ]I've also been wondering lately about the lantern in A Machine For Pigs. From what I've seen so far, it looks like it's not the same type of lantern used in The Dark Descent. Not powered by fuel/oil, rather just an electric lantern. From this image alone found on the aamfp site:

I'm guessing it's not powered by electricity due to the fact that it would need to be running on batteries, which hardly was portable at the time. I'm thinking the lantern will still be running on oil/gas.
(08-03-2013, 02:52 PM)The Raining Brains Wrote: [ -> ]There is nothing at all wrong with the poem. Have you considered that the repeating of "head" is actually done for effect? That is how poetry works. There are no rules for structure or consistency. If it sounded wrong to you then that is because you imposed a conventional expectation on it.

I personally rather liked it. It's like a sort of echo for emphasis.

ok

there once was a man named blue
blue had lots of glue on his shoes
on top of a hill was his house
and in with him was a mouse
this mouse would crawl under the floor
joe really liked to eat pizza

there is absolutely nothing forced sounding or out of place about that last sentence and it's totally not just tacked on becos there are no rules to poetry and i can do whatever i want with it right??? wow um ok no you can't say that i totally broke he structure i set up and made it sound awkward because you're just trying to impose a structure on my poem and poems don't need to conform to a structure, it's not like a clearly set one up the entire poem and then just got lazy and decided to drop it at the end or anything!!! IT'S JUST DONE FOR EFFECT TO MAKE IT SOUND ARTSY AND MYSTERIOUS you PHILISTINE

i dunno why i thought coming back to this thread was a good idea

hm
(08-03-2013, 11:14 PM)Kman Wrote: [ -> ]IT'S JUST DONE FOR EFFECT TO MAKE IT SOUND ARTSY AND MYSTERIOUS you PHILISTINE

hm

[Image: 1PP3bYR.gif]
(08-03-2013, 09:23 PM)magnubac Wrote: [ -> ]

I'm guessing it's not powered by electricity due to the fact that it would need to be running on batteries, which hardly was portable at the time. I'm thinking the lantern will still be running on oil/gas.

True, I forgot about the game being set in 1899 and never thought about the battery situation back then. It would have to be running on gas then I imagine or something to keep it charged. Also just for fun been looking back at the old teasers for aamfp and noticed something I never took a closer look at before:

http://puu.sh/3SXvs.jpg

The monster's hand as it breaks through the door. God I'm really wondering what the monster will look like in this game. It sounds absolutely terrifying and that hand is so enormous and fat I can only picture some type of pig/ogre looking hideous thing. Which again sets the tone marvelously.
I'm so mad that an indie company delivers extra ARGs while trying to work on the game to perfect it. It's just so unfair! They must do everything to please us and get this game out as soon as possible! They only care about the quality of the game and not about us! I want to play this game right now or I'm going to pirate all FG games!

Spoiler below!
obv sarcasm
(08-03-2013, 11:14 PM)Kman Wrote: [ -> ]ok

there is absolutely nothing forced sounding or out of place about that last sentence and it's totally not just tacked on becos there are no rules to poetry and i can do whatever i want with it right??? wow um ok no you can't say that i totally broke he structure i set up and made it sound awkward because you're just trying to impose a structure on my poem and poems don't need to conform to a structure, it's not like a clearly set one up the entire poem and then just got lazy and decided to drop it at the end or anything!!! IT'S JUST DONE FOR EFFECT TO MAKE IT SOUND ARTSY AND MYSTERIOUS you PHILISTINE

hm

Calm down man. I apologise if my post came off the wrong way or something...but I really just think you're looking at it the wrong way. It is not lazy or tacked on at all. In fact I think the poem would be fairly weak without it. The entire effect of it pretty much rides on that last repetition at the end.

You're supposed to shift subtle emphasis to "light up".

"Will flood through her head
and light up her head"

I think it works well. I really don't understand why you can't see that. The shift of structure is intentional. It sort of tails off like an echo. It reinforces the imagery. I don't know how else to explain it...

Can anyone else help me out here?

It's a Bulls Eye Lantern. It's run by Oil(?). Go search it on google.
If I'm not mistaken, a Bulls Eye Lantern model was made in this forum somewhere....

EDIT: Found it.
(08-04-2013, 01:00 AM)The Raining Brains Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-03-2013, 11:14 PM)Kman Wrote: [ -> ]ok

hm

Calm down man. I apologise if my post came off the wrong way or something...but I really just think you're looking at it the wrong way. It is not lazy or tacked on at all. In fact I think the poem would be fairly weak without it. The entire effect of it pretty much rides on that last repetition at the end.

You're supposed to shift subtle emphasis to "light up".

"Will flood through her head
and light up her head"

I think it works well. I really don't understand why you can't see that. The shift of structure is intentional. It sort of tails off like an echo. It reinforces the imagery. I don't know how else to explain it...

Can anyone else help me out here?

It is of poor effect in my opinion. Oftentimes violating the expectations one has of a particular meter or style can make the poem more interesting and pleasurable but I do not think there is anything ingenious about the anticlimax of a last line they conceived for this one. Truth be told I do not think any of the poems written for AMFP have been impressive at all.