Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Actually, I find the idea of Jack being in the game not bad, but not as a main character. They could use his background story to make you feel uncomfortable when you walk through the dark streets of the city. In ATDD Daniel often hallucinates monsters or other events like footsteps. The character (Oswald) may know about Jack the Ripper and when he walks through the streets where Jack commited the murders he could hallucinate the terrible screams of the victims or footsteps that are coming closer, maybe even a shadow in the distance. But then again, that's all in his mind.
(08-12-2013, 07:03 AM)Kotch Wrote: [ -> ]Jens is watching again (O.o)
Hey Jens, can you give us something?.... Anything...... Please?

Members of Frictional Team visit their own forums? Oh wow, that's rare.
(08-12-2013, 11:09 AM)Kein Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-12-2013, 07:03 AM)Kotch Wrote: [ -> ]Jens is watching again (O.o)
Hey Jens, can you give us something?.... Anything...... Please?

Members of Frictional Team visit their own forums? Oh wow, that's rare.

If the Team visit their own forums, that's actually really rare.
But if the Team visits a lot, that's not rare.
This monster artworks on previous page looks like for an action-horror-game, but not really that what AAMFP wants to be. And I don't think they are scary because of the action-like design. Monsters shouldn't be like Doom, I think that monsters need a naunce of real body (human or animal) and not extreme fantasy clichée with fledging teeth etc. that just looks like mainstream horror where monsters were like "fun-enemies".
(08-12-2013, 11:38 AM)Googolplex Wrote: [ -> ]This monster artworks on previous page looks like for an action-horror-game, but not really that what AAMFP wants to be. And I don't think they are scary because of the action-like design. Monsters shouldn't be like Doom, I think that monsters need a naunce of real body (human or animal) and not extreme fantasy clichée with fledging teeth etc. that just looks like mainstream horror where monsters were like "fun-enemies".

I agree with you; however, I like the first monster on the list on the previous page, get rid of its meat cleaver and the gory room and I think that creature alone would be pretty damn scary.
(08-12-2013, 01:32 AM)bluel0bster Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sorry, how's that not clear? I meant in comparison to deeper, more philosophical, more interesting theories about a plot revolving around the allegory of worthless mankind as "pigs," jack the ripper seems a little lame. The story was one of (if not the single most) favorite aspect of TDD, and Dear Esther. The jack the ripper story isn't exactly an engaging, thought-provoking, meaningful story. In other words, it's shallow. If there's anything more than a subtle reference to him I'd be disappointed.

And I ask again, why not? I guess it makes sense if you consider the fact that a good percentage of serial killers are literally shallow the reason for that, but I do not see how any story pertaining to a serial killer is automatically shallow. If you ask me, the whole concept they have for AMFP can easily be shallow because they seem to be focused on pretentious metaphors and stylistic imagery rather than any real substance (like Amnesia, to a lesser extent). It remains to be seen how it's handled, but there are a few serial killer stories that are incredibly well written.
I say throw in SCP-173 for good measure.
(08-12-2013, 01:32 AM)bluel0bster Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-11-2013, 09:47 PM)Bridge Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-11-2013, 09:26 PM)bluel0bster Wrote: [ -> ]I really hope people's opinions on jack the ripper are wrong... I as long as we've been theorizing about the plot of this game, I can't imagine the devs would make it revolve around something as shallow as a serial killer.

Shallow?

I'm sorry, how's that not clear? I meant in comparison to deeper, more philosophical, more interesting theories about a plot revolving around the allegory of worthless mankind as "pigs," jack the ripper seems a little lame. The story was one of (if not the single most) favorite aspect of TDD, and Dear Esther. The jack the ripper story isn't exactly an engaging, thought-provoking, meaningful story. In other words, it's shallow. If there's anything more than a subtle reference to him I'd be disappointed.

I agree. It just seems rather childish to add something like that to AAMFP.
"HEY! The game is set in Victorian England; might as well add Jack the Ripper! 'Cause y'know; ENGLAND! huehuehue" <-- That's what I think when reading this whole thread. I haven't been here for a few days so I had some catching up to do.
Sure, a subtle reference is fine, but having him as an NPC is kind of foolish. Subtly is key here, guys.
(08-12-2013, 01:42 PM)Vredesbyrd Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-12-2013, 01:32 AM)bluel0bster Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-11-2013, 09:47 PM)Bridge Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-11-2013, 09:26 PM)bluel0bster Wrote: [ -> ]I really hope people's opinions on jack the ripper are wrong... I as long as we've been theorizing about the plot of this game, I can't imagine the devs would make it revolve around something as shallow as a serial killer.

Shallow?

I'm sorry, how's that not clear? I meant in comparison to deeper, more philosophical, more interesting theories about a plot revolving around the allegory of worthless mankind as "pigs," jack the ripper seems a little lame. The story was one of (if not the single most) favorite aspect of TDD, and Dear Esther. The jack the ripper story isn't exactly an engaging, thought-provoking, meaningful story. In other words, it's shallow. If there's anything more than a subtle reference to him I'd be disappointed.

I agree. It just seems rather childish to add something like that to AAMFP.
"HEY! The game is set in Victorian England; might as well add Jack the Ripper! 'Cause y'know; ENGLAND! huehuehue" <-- That's what I think when reading this whole thread. I haven't been here for a few days so I had some catching up to do.
Sure, a subtle reference is fine, but having him as an NPC is kind of foolish. Subtly is key here, guys.

Nobody is contesting that. But I don't see a clear line from that to "serial killer elements are shallow".
An Edit to my Previous Minecraft Rendition
[Image: 8EM3REz.jpg]
Now with better Texture pack.

This is what i do in my spare time.