Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
****If jens reads this*** seriously.... give us something.... talk to us.

Now that that's off my chest....
Whatsup guys, I just signed up too express my deep concern with the delays.
I'm not a game dev nor do I have any experience in the process of creating a game.
So with that in mind this is my perspective.
The fact that frictional back in April had gotten sent The Chinese Rooms final completed version of the game is a large red flag for me.
Is it possible that something catastrophic happened? Or the games quality upon frictional receiving it was just absolutely terrible? Its been a relatively large amount of time that has passed and for a game that was "near" completion, I don't get what the hold up is.
I would hope frictional would be honest with us, but then again why would they tell us there game needs significant work due to The Chinese Rooms incompetence. ( that is something I implied btw)
Anyways hello everyone i'm just as big of a fan of A:TDD as all of you Smile
(08-13-2013, 11:30 AM)zarathustra Wrote: [ -> ]****If jens reads this*** seriously.... give us something.... talk to us.

Now that that's off my chest....
Whatsup guys, I just signed up too express my deep concern with the delays.
I'm not a game dev nor do I have any experience in the process of creating a game.
So with that in mind this is my perspective.
The fact that frictional back in April had gotten sent The Chinese Rooms final completed version of the game is a large red flag for me.
Is it possible that something catastrophic happened? Or the games quality upon frictional receiving it was just absolutely terrible? Its been a relatively large amount of time that has passed and for a game that was "near" completion, I don't get what the hold up is.
I would hope frictional would be honest with us, but then again why would they tell us there game needs significant work due to The Chinese Rooms incompetence. ( that is something I implied btw)
Anyways hello everyone i'm just as big of a fan of A:TDD as all of you Smile

Also sprach Zarathustra... Welcome! Smile
(08-13-2013, 11:30 AM)zarathustra Wrote: [ -> ]Whatsup guys, I just signed up too express my deep concern with the delays...

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...#pid248190

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...#pid248140
(08-13-2013, 11:30 AM)zarathustra Wrote: [ -> ]So with that in mind this is my perspective.

Quote:The fact that frictional back in April sent The Chinese Rooms the final completed version of the game is a large red flag for me.
I edited the sentence a bit to make it more readable but let met explain all those points.
It wasn't the final version it was only just their completed version it would still have to be tested and tweaked by the distributor aka: FG.
It is their game.

Quote:Is it possible that something catastrophic happened? Or the games quality upon frictional receiving it was just absolutely terrible? Its been a relatively large amount of time that has passed and for a game that was "near" completion, I don't get what the hold up is.
Catastrophic no not really as the game will be compiled and swapped out with FG multiple times during development.
Making a game flawless requires time, a lot of time.
Unless you want them to pull a Penumbra on you where there were a lot of glitches and handling wasn't smooth at all.

Quote:relatively large amount of time that has passed
For a game which prequels took 1.5 years+ to complete actually not so much time has passed even now they pushed the release date back a bit.

Quote:I would hope frictional would be honest with us, but then again why would they tell us there game needs significant work due to The Chinese Rooms incompetence. ( that is something I implied btw)
They pretty much have a dream team for such a small company both at FG and TCR so to say either side has some/any incompetence doesn't really go up here.

Again all they are doing is bug fixing or rewriting levels that FG thinks can be better there won't be much map tweaking any more rather graphic and handling fixes.
And a lot of play troughs of each level individually to find potential bugs.
And their newest update is hidden in the aamfp.com source code. Big Grin

Code:
We are working the best we can... xoxo -->

Give them their time. I'am 100% sure it will be worth the wait.
(08-13-2013, 11:43 AM)Deep One Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-13-2013, 11:30 AM)zarathustra Wrote: [ -> ]Whatsup guys, I just signed up too express my deep concern with the delays...

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...#pid248190

Frictional Games should hire Paddy as their PR/Communications Manager. Just sayin'... Tongue

Oh, and welcome, zarathustra!
(08-13-2013, 11:43 AM)Deep One Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...#pid248190

I am up too date on all of the news they have posted ( i've been creeping on this thread for a while now;p)
None of that info clears up my concern however, that the game if the chinese room had done their jobs correctly should have been released already.
I'm well aware that my lack of knowledge on game design and bug fixing might be playing on my perspective. So maybe it does just take this long but idk : /

(08-13-2013, 11:47 AM)maarten12100 Wrote: [ -> ]I edited the sentence a bit to make it more readable but let met explain all those points.
It wasn't the final version it was only just their completed version it would still have to be tested and tweaked by the distributor aka: FG.
It is their game.

Sorry if the sentence wasn't structured very well... whoops. Regardless though if it does in fact take this long to bug test ectera ectera than I concede ;p but I can't imagine that process taking this long?!?

(08-13-2013, 11:47 AM)maarten12100 Wrote: [ -> ]Catastrophic no not really as the game will be compiled and swapped out with FG multiple times during development.
Making a game flawless requires time, a lot of time.
Unless you want them to pull a Penumbra on you where there were a lot of glitches and handling wasn't smooth at all.
Again, if it truly does take this type of time then so be it ;p

(08-13-2013, 11:47 AM)maarten12100 Wrote: [ -> ]They pretty much have a dream team for such a small company both at FG and TCR so to say either side has some/any incompetence doesn't really go up here.
I'm not saying they aren't very skilled in what they do. I'm also not saying they are with out faults. To dismiss the possibility that perhaps something happened right now isn't seeming like a very logical thought progression.

(08-13-2013, 11:42 AM)Yaguara Wrote: [ -> ]Also sprach Zarathustra... Welcome! Smile

Thanks Smile you know the name!
(08-13-2013, 03:52 AM)sasaluvsamnesia7 Wrote: [ -> ]Well, perhaps Oswald is an older gentleman, since in the latest poem we read:

'old Lily...'

And if she was his wife, maybe so...

It's poetry. An intrinsic aspect of poetry is subjective language. Think of the colloquialism, "Good old days." "Old" in this context doesn't necessarily mean a long, long time ago, it just refers to a previous, distinctly separate time. "Old" can also refer to "of or pertaining to the latter part of the life or term of existence of a person or thing" (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/old?s=t).

Also, consider saying that a child is "5 years old." Does that mean the child is an old man? Of course not, it just refers a specified length of time.

"Old," like many common words in the English language, are surprisingly homonymic. It can mean a lot of different things. Dictionary.com has 28 definitions for the word. The one I think makes most sense here is, "former; having been so formerly." As in, "A dinner for his old students." Again, this doesn't mean the students are advanced in age, it just refers to a state that is previous, and now complete; they are no longer his students.

In my mind, saying Lily is "old" means she belongs to a previous time, something that is no longer in existence. In other words, she has passed away (which is something that has already been pretty much confirmed). This doesn't necessarily imply either Lily or Oswald are advanced in age. Gotta think outside the box on these things, especially when it comes to poetry.
I think it's pretty clear by now that Lily is dead.
(08-13-2013, 03:25 PM)bluel0bster Wrote: [ -> ]In my mind, saying Lily is "old" means she belongs to a previous time, something that is no longer in existence.

I disagree. Although I guess it is technically a valid interpretation it is more usual to use the word late for people who have passed away. It depends on the context, but usually "old" accompanied by a proper noun in my mind evokes a sense of reverence. When used with an improper noun can mean a lot of things but it is usually as you said, something from a previous time or something advanced in years.

EDIT: But then "late" is usually used with a personal pronoun or a definite article so "old Lily" as it is used in the poem does not make much sense. The only conclusion I can draw is someone the person speaking has known for a long time.