Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(05-02-2013, 08:47 PM)felixmole Wrote: [ -> ]Well... This isn't a simple custom story, this is something that is about to be marketed. Better show a minimum of pride (to a certain extent, obviously). Just like when market anything else or begin seeking a job.

Well regarding money and all that, I have a bad feeling about pirates on this one.

Amnesia was popular for being a good game, but also it got featured in LP's that have a million plus hits. I think AMFP will be even more popular and with more popularity comes more piracy.

If you go onto The Pirate Bay and look under games and sort it by top seeding you'll find Amnesia on the first or second page.

Spoiler below!
[Image: F7hDzFV.png]

Hopefully more people buy it than pirate it. I forget did TDD have any DRM attached to it?
(05-02-2013, 08:22 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-02-2013, 05:56 PM)jiersk Wrote: [ -> ]And being proud is for cunts.

I love the way you think. So let's see. If I make a custom story, devote many ours at it and be proud of the result...I'm a cunt!
Yes, because potatoe.

If you did something that is worth praise and which you devoted a lot of time too you have the right the feel proud about it no?
Maybe jiersk didn't mean that but I don't get what his problem is.
(05-02-2013, 08:22 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-02-2013, 05:56 PM)jiersk Wrote: [ -> ]And being proud is for cunts.

I love the way you think. So let's see. If I make a custom story, devote many ours at it and be proud of the result...I'm a cunt!

Hang on a second... he publicly calls all story makers here cunts and nothing happens to him yet when I pick a fight with a well established game dev. I get an hour long ban? seems fair.
(05-02-2013, 08:56 PM)darkely Wrote: [ -> ]If you go onto The Pirate Bay and look under games and sort it by top seeding you'll find Amnesia on the first or second page.

Spoiler below!
[Image: F7hDzFV.png]

"Interesting" to see that 2,5 years later the game is still so popular... No mercy even for the indies.
To be fair I think jiersk's use of the word "cunt" was in response to my use of the word in a previous post; he didn't just introduce the word arbitrarily nor did he direct it at anyone specific. That said, his particular use of the word was kind of hyperbolic; as I and others have stated, being proud of your work is hardly a bad thing.

Whether or not jiersk meant "proud" or "boastful" I have yet to see evidence of this as it relates to Dan Pinchbeck. I've read every available article and interview with the guy - I compiled a list of them in the Information Portal thread along with the Q&A - and I'm not sure where this idea of him being arrogant (or indeed hating AAA games) has come from.

Regarding piracy, it sucks that an indie game is still being so heavily pirated after all this time but it must also be acknowledged that Frictional have more or less dismissed the problem as being relatively minor [click!]. It was the game's unexpectedly great sales that enabled Frictional to finance Pigs and at the same time work on their own super secret project.
I wonder why people here disagree that pride is a bad thing. Anybody who can tell me?
(05-02-2013, 11:14 PM)jiersk Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder why people here disagree that pride is a bad thing. Anybody who can tell me?

Do you want people to be completely self-deprecating all the time? No work would ever get done and a lot of people would probably just kill themselves. How about you explain to us in what way pride is a bad thing?
"Hey guys, here's a game I made, its quality is on a spectrum ranging from SHIT to PAINFULLY AVERAGE, but definitely no more than that."

I think maybe it's time to define our terms, because jiersk seems to be talking about pride in some Biblically proscribed sense rather than the sense in which normal people use it, i.e. to be pleased with the fruits of one's efforts.

The bigger question, in my opinion, is why he gives such a massive fuck about this perceived abundance of pride Dan allegedly exhibits but for which there doesn't seem to be any evidence.
(05-02-2013, 11:14 PM)jiersk Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder why people here disagree that pride is a bad thing. Anybody who can tell me?

if the developers wouldn't be proud of their own stuff, than how would they expect to sell it ?
(05-02-2013, 11:17 PM)Bridge Wrote: [ -> ]

Do you want people to be completely self-deprecating all the time? No work would ever get done and a lot of people would probably just kill themselves. How about you explain to us in what way pride is a bad thing?

Because of pride, people will work to be proud. For some people it will become the only reason they do something, so they won't help others if it doesn't make them proud.
And people that aren't stupid will not be self-deprecating, they just won't be proud of their work. You can also do something and be satisfied with it, while not being proud.

I hope it is clear what I wrote, there probably are some flaws in my english.

(05-02-2013, 11:28 PM)Dogfood Wrote: [ -> ]

if the developers wouldn't be proud of their own stuff, than how would they expect to sell it ?

They can expect people to like it and but it. The developers can like it themselves without being proud of it.