Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(05-07-2013, 05:30 PM)Mehis Wrote: [ -> ]Never forget.

Oh god... I still remember those Google Street View pictures...

Haha. I remember when some guy called that hotel, to talk about that "Chinese Room" they had. And Thomas Grip (I think?) told us not to contact the hotel again! Big Grin
I'm with Paddy here, guys; that's the most logical clue we got right now at least.
(05-07-2013, 08:28 PM)Tiger Wrote: [ -> ]I'm with Paddy here, guys; that's the most logical clue we got right now at least.

no it ain't dawg its gon b halowen u no wat im sain
I think the game is going to be out tomorow!

While we wait for AAMFP, here is a game that looks kinda like Amnesia http://www.kravenmanor.com/
I'm also with Paddy here.Same reasons as Tiger.
(05-07-2013, 04:33 PM)Bridge Wrote: [ -> ]They can be symbolic of anything. There is no reason to think that TCR would use obvious Romantic symbolism in this poem, especially given the setting. Have you guys considered that the first line may be purely phonetic? It has a poetic ring to it that sets the mood for the rest of the piece. Kind of like "Roses are red, violets are blue", though not as elementary.

Sure, anything "can" be symbolic of pretty much anything else, but commonly accepted symbolism does exist in literature. The dove, for example, represents the holy spirit in the Bible, and the end of a disaster in multiple ancient texts. More generally, they almost universally represent peace or love.

If you're arguing that the reference to doves in meaningless because it helps constitute the form of the poem, then why not go with something that rhymes with the second line? The third and fourth line rhyme, it would make sense to use something else, if the only purpose of this poem is to be "purely phonetic."
(05-07-2013, 10:09 PM)bluel0bster Wrote: [ -> ]Sure, anything "can" be symbolic of pretty much anything else, but commonly accepted symbolism does exist in literature. The dove, for example, represents the holy spirit in the Bible, and the end of a disaster in multiple ancient texts. More generally, they almost universally represent peace or love.

If you're arguing that the reference to doves in meaningless because it helps constitute the form of the poem, then why not go with something that rhymes with the second line? The third and fourth line rhyme, it would make sense to use something else, if the only purpose of this poem is to be "purely phonetic."

The symbolism used depends entirely on the context. Yes, there is such a thing as "accepted symbolism" in every genre and era but many people, including me, find hackneyed parallels such as doves representing peace/whatever to be boring and unimaginative. That doesn't mean that they aren't symbolic of something in this case - but considering how unusual the setting is, relatively speaking, I don't think there is any reason to assume they would go for something that obvious.

Also, there aren't that many good words that rhyme perfectly with "above" and would be pleasing in context. Assuming that they felt "above" in the second line was absolutely necessary, then I would say "doves" is a fair compromise. Strictly speaking, dove and above constitute a perfect rhyme. Since using the article "a" would decimate the meter, "doves" provides the best of both worlds. Purely hypothetical, of course. Just offering a differing viewpoint. Not all poems have to mean something (in this case line of poetry).

As I mentioned before; "Roses are red, violets are blue", probably the most cliche and unimaginative poetic device ever, is used purely for support for the second part which contains whatever the poet wants to get across. Those two lines establish mood and meter and yet they don't mean anything - at least there is no clear connection that can be made. Those two lines can of course mean any number of things but generally they don't.
(05-07-2013, 08:28 PM)Tiger Wrote: [ -> ]I'm with Paddy here, guys; that's the most logical clue we got right now at least.

I agree. I mean, just look at the clue "Thrupenny sixpence sparrows and doves"

I don't see any correlation between sparrows and doves and the rest of the poem, but maybe I'm just not an avid poem fanatic and can't decipher poems that well. To me, it looks out of place, context-wise, and just put there to make a rhyme, or as Paddy's theory goes, a hidden clue.

Honestly, I say this seems legit in all seriousness

[Image: tumblr_kytca3miWx1qa9armo1_r1_500.jpg]
(05-07-2013, 05:30 PM)Mehis Wrote: [ -> ]Never forget.

Oh god... I still remember those Google Street View pictures...

And the failed phone calls made to the Chinese Room hotel..

Almost feels nostalgic.
Did I dream this or did I read somewhere that the original title for AAMFP was something other than "A Machine For Pigs"? I was sure I read it in an interview but I've just finished re-reading all of the ones in the Information Portal and none of those mentions it. It's not mentioned in the Q&A either. I must be losing it...

EDIT: Found it:

"We Are the Pig"
http://beefjack.com/features/amnesia-a-m...w-preview/