Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: This line annoys me.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
In the last diary note in the inner sanctum Daniel says "I am as broken as the men I have tortured."

I don't think so. He's pretty arrogant to assume that. For starters, I don't think he has any broken limbs on his body (strappado), burn marks (brazen bull), a bursted eye (iron maiden), or a grossly enlarged anus (judas cradle). And despite all the fear he experienced from being chased by gatherers and the shadow, I don't think it compares to the fear that the prisoners experienced sitting in their cells, hearing the daily torments of inmates, being tortured themselves, and being fed amnesia potions so that they can be tortured again.

The only thing Daniel has worse than the prisoners is guilt, but still, he isn't the victim of countless sessions of torture.

This line annoys me. I just can't get over it.
Sure he wasn't physically injured, more psychologically, duh. He's kidnapped, tortured and killed alot of people, in cold blood. Also the deaths of Prof. Tate and the rest that got killed because of the shadow that was chasing him. So, yes, guilt and regret, and on a more metaphysical plane, losing his soul.

I don't think we can fully understand this if we haven't experienced it.
This is what I like to think: He probably wasn't "really" as broken as the men he tortured, but he was feeling pretty bad, and made such a metaphor without realizing he was exaggerating a bit, and really wasn't that much.

So probably just an unknowingly made verbal mistake on his part born out of a bit of ignorance, and being melodramatic.
i knew this would be a chrono thread by the title alone
(08-07-2013, 12:47 AM)i3670 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think we can fully understand this if we haven't experienced it.
Sorry, but I highly doubt that anything Daniel has been through compares to the pain, embarrassment, and shame of being strung up side down and sawed in half from the anus downwards.

(08-07-2013, 02:38 AM)Kreekakon Wrote: [ -> ]So probably just an unknowingly made verbal mistake on his part born out of a bit of ignorance, and being melodramatic.
And that's why HE HAS TO PAY ヽ(●-`Д´-)ノ

(08-07-2013, 02:55 AM)Kman Wrote: [ -> ]i knew this would be a chrono thread by the title alone
any reason why?
(08-07-2013, 03:12 AM)Chronocat Wrote: [ -> ]And that's why HE HAS TO PAY ヽ(●-`Д´-)ノ

Lol, but seriously though I think when we hear that line we're supposed to feel for Daniel going "Awww he feels guilty, and used a metaphor to emphasize it!" instead of smoking a bubbly pipe wearing a monocle going "Well I'm sorry Daniel old chap, but I'm afraid from an objective point of view your plight was highly unlikely to compare to your victims, and your metaphor is completely off!"
(08-07-2013, 03:59 AM)Kreekakon Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-07-2013, 03:12 AM)Chronocat Wrote: [ -> ]And that's why HE HAS TO PAY ヽ(●-`Д´-)ノ

Lol, but seriously though I think when we hear that line we're supposed to feel for Daniel going "Awww he feels guilty, and used a metaphor to emphasize it!" instead of smoking a bubbly pipe wearing a monocle going "Well I'm sorry Daniel old chap, but I'm afraid from an objective point of view your plight was highly unlikely to compare to your victims, and your metaphor is completely off!"

I imagined a grunt with a monocle saying that before killing Daniel.
(08-07-2013, 04:01 AM)Ye Olde Aldi Wrote: [ -> ]

I imagined a grunt with a monocle saying that before killing Daniel.

LOL
thanks for sharing

Unfortunately that's exactly how I felt

except without the monocle
Pages: 1 2 3