Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Skype psychology
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ever since MSN went down and I had to switch to Skype, I've developed a minor but intriguing mental problem. I keep hearing the skype bubble sound that indicates I've received a new message whenever I'm on the computer. My Skype could be off and I'd be listening to some music when suddenly I hear the bubble sound, and I would be distracted, for a fraction of a second, wondering if I had just received a new message. This also occurs often while playing games.

Is this common phenomena?
(08-16-2013, 12:21 AM)Chronocat Wrote: [ -> ]Ever since MSN went down and I had to switch to Skype, I've developed a minor but intriguing mental problem. I keep hearing the skype bubble sound that indicates I've received a new message whenever I'm on the computer. My Skype could be off and I'd be listening to some music when suddenly I hear the bubble sound, and I would be distracted, for a fraction of a second, wondering if I had just received a new message. This also occurs often while playing games.

Sometimes when listening to music I hear my name being called. 'Tis quite annoying when I have to take my headphones off to make sure.
I guess that is half conditioning from hearing it a lot while being online/on a computer and the fact that the sound has the wird property to be similar to many other sfx out there. I guess the conditioning makes it even easier to mistake certain sounds for Skype. Turn the Skype sound off for a while and see if something changes after a few weeks. (is it possible to change the Skype sound? If yes try to experiment with different stuff.)
(08-16-2013, 12:24 AM)Ye Olde Aldi Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-16-2013, 12:21 AM)Chronocat Wrote: [ -> ]Ever since MSN went down and I had to switch to Skype, I've developed a minor but intriguing mental problem. I keep hearing the skype bubble sound that indicates I've received a new message whenever I'm on the computer. My Skype could be off and I'd be listening to some music when suddenly I hear the bubble sound, and I would be distracted, for a fraction of a second, wondering if I had just received a new message. This also occurs often while playing games.

Sometimes when listening to music I hear my name being called. 'Tis quite annoying when I have to take my headphones off to make sure.

both of these happen to me all the time actually
HAPPENS TO ME ALL THE TIME thank god im not all alone...
That could also explain why both me and my sister can hear Pokemon music at night despite neither of our gameboy's being powered on.
what about when you feel your phone vibrate but its not even in your pocket, or you check it and it has no new notifications
(08-16-2013, 02:08 AM)Kreekakon Wrote: [ -> ][url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_effect[/url]

Whamo, here you go.
Very interesting read. Also happens when I do too much math. Sometimes I unconsciously think words are variables and I have to factor letters out of them.
When I was a little girl, I played "Alex Kidd in Miracle World" so many times that I'd hear the main theme and the sound effects in my head everywhere I was... Especially the jumping and punching sounds. Tongue

Spoiler below!

Pages: 1 2