Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First post here, seems obvious it is a troll.

Anyways let me reiterate this link if you feel like helping people, with the system requirements or other questions...

http://steamcommunity.com/app/239200/discussions/
I'm kind of torn about the arguments I read on there about how high requirements will get less sales. On the one hand that might be true. People blame consoles for things but people with insanely low power PCs are also a reason why major strides aren't made much. I realize that Frictional probably wants the game to sell as much as possible but they also want the game to be better than the original, which does take power. You have to leave people behind at some point if any progress is going to be made. I'm looking forward to how the apparent extra power is being used in the game, if the requirements aren't entirely wrong. Reading through the thread about it it seems that a lot of people who could run the original on medium/high are going to be running this game on low.
AMFP actually isn't that demanding at all to be frank.

It takes something like half the usual power you'd need to run most mainstream games nowadays.
(08-20-2013, 09:07 AM)Sakonosolo Wrote: [ -> ]I'm kind of torn about the arguments I read on there about how high requirements will get less sales. On the one hand that might be true. People blame consoles for things but people with insanely low power PCs are also a reason why major strides aren't made much. I realize that Frictional probably wants the game to sell as much as possible but they also want the game to be better than the original, which does take power. You have to leave people behind at some point if any progress is going to be made. I'm looking forward to how the apparent extra power is being used in the game, if the requirements aren't entirely wrong. Reading through the thread about it it seems that a lot of people who could run the original on medium/high are going to be running this game on low.

A problem is also, that people complain, that they can't play games with their onboard graphics card. Guys, if you want a good gaming experience(highest graphics, anti-aliasing, etc), get a computer (not notebook, unless it's a powerful machine) with a good external graphic card...at some point it's nescessary to upgrade something, that's the way it is with technical progress. And if you can't afford it you are still able to play AMFP with a older machine, but you have to lower your sights regarding the graphics (medium-low settings).
Jens also said, that when your computer/notebook meets the minimum requirements you are able to run the game solid.
I'am also inured, that when my computer meets the min. requirements, that the game will run at 1fps. That should be not the case with AMFP.
I see that (finally!) the main aamfp.com site has the release date listed - yes, it really is 10th September. Hopefully that will satisfy those that were still worrying. Smile

We even have an official announcement from Frictional in this very forum (new thread too):

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-22515.html
Now some more plot guessing before it’s too late! ;D

Someone said earlier that the cover art pig mask/statue seems to have Mayan style painting on it. I too looked at some pics and tattoos and I personally agree. The last teaser poem mentions “jungle”. The Lacandon Jungle is a vast rainforest which is partly in Mexico. The jungle is also home to some of Mexico’s most numerous and impressive archaeological sites, all of which belong to the Mayan civilization (wikipedia sitation). Was it Samuel who said that the “pig with luchador mask” is quite close. Well luchador masks are based on ancient Mayan, Aztec and later Christian missionary masks.

The more I read about Mexico’s religion, the more I understand it’s perfect for a horror backstory. Old Mayan (and Aztec) cultures with (animal) spirits, gods and human sacrifices are mixed with European Catholic beliefs and later Spiritism, Voodoo and etc. There is so much to choose from. Some AAMFP pics had a cross in them so Christianity is somehow in the mix. Also domestic pigs were introduced to America by Europeans.

This is going quite far but what the heck. The official description says the “the expedition ended in tragedy”. The last poems tell about Old Lily dying, and Old Lily dreaming about the jungle. The second poem -probably- talks about Oswald and his wife mourning after their children and trying to bring them to life with spiritualism. Maybe Old Lily is his wife and they went to Mexican Jungle to find somekind of a powerful Mayan artifact to bring the kids to life, but she died. And I bet Amnesia Universe’s Orbs are somehow linked (the cover art pig has a curious symbol on it’s forehead).
(08-20-2013, 11:41 AM)Peci Wrote: [ -> ]Now some more plot guessing before it’s too late! ;D

Someone said earlier that the cover art pig mask/statue seems to have Mayan style painting on it. I too looked at some pics and tattoos and I personally agree. The last teaser poem mentions “jungle”. The Lacandon Jungle is a vast rainforest which is partly in Mexico. The jungle is also home to some of Mexico’s most numerous and impressive archaeological sites, all of which belong to the Mayan civilization (wikipedia sitation). Was it Samuel who said that the “pig with luchador mask” is quite close. Well luchador masks are based on ancient Mayan, Aztec and later Christian missionary masks.

The more I read about Mexico’s religion, the more I understand it’s perfect for a horror backstory. Old Mayan (and Aztec) cultures with (animal) spirits, gods and human sacrifices are mixed with European Catholic beliefs and later Spiritism, Voodoo and etc. There is so much to choose from. Some AAMFP pics had a cross in them so Christianity is somehow in the mix. Also domestic pigs were introduced to America by Europeans.

This is going quite far but what the heck. The official description says the “the expedition ended in tragedy”. The last poems tell about Old Lily dying, and Old Lily dreaming about the jungle. The second poem -probably- talks about Oswald and his wife mourning after their children and trying to bring them to life with spiritualism. Maybe Old Lily is his wife and they went to Mexican Jungle to find somekind of a powerful Mayan artifact to bring the kids to life, but she died. And I bet Amnesia Universe’s Orbs are somehow linked (the cover art pig has a curious symbol on it’s forehead).

Really great ideas in there. Smile I also think one topic of the game will be reanimation. I would like to hear your thoughts about the machine. What's the purpose of that? Is it really a machine?
Here's an -I think exclusive- "description" from gog. Posted this already a few pages back, but nobody react to it. Big Grin I find it quite interesting, because I think here we have a description of the games beginning (in Oswalds fever dreams?).

Cold sweat running down my back, I sit wide awake in my bed. Before the fever is back, I have a moment of clarity to reflect upon my dreams. The noise of the machine that haunts them still sounds in my head. The visions of infernal machinery are driving me insane, never revealing the installations whole form nor purpose. All I'm certain about is my fear. The cold sting of its needle pierces right through my heart. The world feels more and more like a small cardboard box, and its walls are getting closer, and closer. Finally, they will close on me and trap me inside, like in a little coffin. Even though the window is open, and the cold, damp air of the London night extends its tendrils down my lungs, I don't feel that I can breathe freely as the fear consumes me. I can hear that infernal engine again. Strange, I could've sworn I'm not asleep anymore.
(08-20-2013, 11:51 AM)droog Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-20-2013, 11:41 AM)Peci Wrote: [ -> ]Now some more plot guessing before it’s too late! ;D

Really great ideas in there. Smile I also think one topic of the game will be reanimation. I would like to hear your thoughts about the machine. What's the purpose of that? Is it really a machine?
Here's an -I think exclusive- "description" from gog. Posted this already a few pages back, but nobody react to it. Big Grin I find it quite interesting, because I think here we have a description of the games beginning (in Oswalds fever dreams?).

Cold sweat running down my back, I sit wide awake in my bed. Before the fever is back, I have a moment of clarity to reflect upon my dreams. The noise of the machine that haunts them still sounds in my head. The visions of infernal machinery are driving me insane, never revealing the installations whole form nor purpose. All I'm certain about is my fear. The cold sting of its needle pierces right through my heart. The world feels more and more like a small cardboard box, and its walls are getting closer, and closer. Finally, they will close on me and trap me inside, like in a little coffin. Even though the window is open, and the cold, damp air of the London night extends its tendrils down my lungs, I don't feel that I can breathe freely as the fear consumes me. I can hear that infernal engine again. Strange, I could've sworn I'm not asleep anymore.

Thanks a lot droog! Big Grin I did notice the new description and it is much more detailed than previous ones - very interesting. I have to think about these things and return to the topic later.
So... if i Pre-order the game will i be able to play it on release? Since i already payed for it? I just need to know incase i Pre-order it for no reason.
(08-20-2013, 01:27 PM)Rich Pyro Wrote: [ -> ]So... if i Pre-order the game will i be able to play it on release? Since i already payed for it? I just need to know incase i Pre-order it for no reason.

Yes, when the cowntdown finishes, the game will unlock, did you buy it on steam?