Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(08-24-2013, 02:40 AM)pinkribbonscars Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-23-2013, 11:44 PM)Statyk Wrote: [ -> ]I'd have to honestly say FG has a bad spot for endings. All Penumbras and Amnesia felt lacking in all of their endings. Like the whole game was just cut short and abruptly. It was like driving a car full speed into a brick wall and I always felt I was missing something. This is just my opinion though. It might be different for others.

I loved Black Plagues ending

Also, A Machine for Pigs will require 5GB of HDD space (according to Steam), and Amnesia Dark Descent required 2GB of HDD space. I guess that means either the artwork is higher resolution, or there's more assets?

An artwork or a wallpaper can't require 3GB of hardisk space, LOL Big Grin
There will be new assets and new elements for sure, and maybe they used higher quality textures Wink
(08-24-2013, 09:02 AM)Ossie Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-24-2013, 12:33 AM)Ye Olde Aldi Wrote: [ -> ]From Facebook:

Quote: First round of review copies have been sent out! The pigs are stirring.
So we'll probably get to know more details about the game pretty soon.

Perhaps too much if we're not careful, it'll soon be time to start being wary of spoilers.

Also of course there are going to be people in this forum who will deliberately and maliciously spoil it for others. I hope the mods will be on full alert with their fingers hovering over the 'ban' button. Smile

I hope they have forced a contract with the reviewers that they can't publish anything before the game is officially launched. I have seen that happen. The very second Everquest Next's publication event started the first reviews of the game went live.
i guess i'll have to avoid forums when AAMFP is launched, there will be always atleast someone with avatar or signature containing a monster or a spoiler.
(08-24-2013, 09:22 AM)emaper Wrote: [ -> ]An artwork or a wallpaper can't require 3GB of hardisk space, LOL Big Grin
There will be new assets and new elements for sure, and maybe they used higher quality textures Wink

It's most likely textures I'm thinking. That's where a lot of Bioshock Infinite's ridiculously high hard drive space comes from.

(08-24-2013, 11:15 AM)Dogfood Wrote: [ -> ]i guess i'll have to avoid forums when AAMFP is launched, there will be always atleast someone with avatar or signature containing a monster or a spoiler.

Not if you're one of those hardcore enough fans to start the game the second its launched, and beat it all in one marathon Smile
AI in Dark Descent was very good, what do you want to improve?

(08-24-2013, 08:55 AM)felixmole Wrote: [ -> ]As I said, "the old tricks won't work".

Well, but the problem is, that when they don't work, the monster will kill you and then the game ends with loading a savegame and this will break the immersion. To get killed is also not scary, it will just harm the effect when you notice that nothing happens to you.
I fail to see how seeing a monster stuck in a door or in a wall (can happen legitimately) could be any more immersive than letting it kill/search for you.

Also it is not quite in Amnesia's advantage that some LPers use the "box trick" to impress viewers and make the game a plain farce.
I just love that all games coming out (AAMFP,GTA IV etc) are being released when everybody is going back to college,secondary school and university.
But which tricks should be there?
A horror game must avoid to kill the player. Because how do you want to make a death scary? To get consequences by starting the level from the beginning is just annoying. As often you get killed by a monster and you notice that nothing really happens to you, as more the monster will lose impact. So the best method is to get not killed. Something different should happen to the player, but not that the game feels implausible.

This problem is one of the biggest which game developers have to work on.
A game must have tricks, otherwise the player need weapons!

And when there will be any new tricks, people will find that out and use very quickly to avoid from monsters.
I wasn't aware of the monsters' glitches before I watched a LP (I had since long finished the game). There is definitely no need for players to exploit them. Glitches give away the monsters' dumbness which is not very good for immersion.

However there are a few TRICKS (not GLITCHES, ie. tricks that result in something not intended by the developers) that very well work, for example throwing an object to attrack the monster's attention. You may have these two words mixed up.
(08-24-2013, 11:43 AM)Chieftain1 Wrote: [ -> ]I just love that all games coming out (AAMFP,GTA IV etc) are being released when everybody is going back to college,secondary school and university.

You're absolutely right! We should hold off the release for these game until next summer then when everyone will have all day to play them yet again! Smile

I'm going to go make some phone calls to the publishers right now...