Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: I start university.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Freshman n00b here.

Computer science is my program. I've already moved onto residence for a week, but lectures start tomorrow.

Any tips on how I should manage / socialize / live life?
(09-09-2013, 03:12 AM)Chronofrog Wrote: [ -> ]Freshman n00b here.

Computer science is my program. I've already moved onto residence for a week, but lectures start tomorrow.

Any tips on how I should manage / socialize / live life?

I never got enrolled at a big college, but I have spent a bit of time at the Texas A&M Campus. If your College is close to as nice:

-There are going to be several events in different buildings, probably the community buildings. These can range from guest speakers to art exhibits. Gives you something to do if you're interested.

-Join a club if you have time. Not a frat, but something that gets together and does awesome stuff.

-Study first, fun later. Unless you're an expert procrastinator like me, in which case it's fun until the last minute, throw together a 10-page term paper the night before it's due, and get an 86% on it. Cool

-If it's a nice campus, enjoy it. I am a socially awkward, terribly depressed, introvert, and even I would be doing stuff outside at TAMU.
The change will be pretty spectacular if you have an experience like mine.

Half assing and underachieving won't get you far. I half assed and underachieved my way through my last two years of high school and those first two semesters of college were pretty brutal.

Study more, take excellent notes, do your assignments *well* and early, organize your time and you'll be fine.

And college is both easier and harder than grade school at once. Hard to explain but it just is.
Quote: And college is both easier and harder than grade school at once. Hard to explain but it just is.
Let me help you: More freedom, more work, more consequences, but more freedom.
Live life, PFT.
"Get fucked every night" - Everyone I know that goes to Uni.
(09-09-2013, 02:06 PM)Wooderson Wrote: [ -> ]"Get fucked every night" - Everyone I know that goes to Uni.

my friend used to say that too! add booze to it aswell...

he dropped out though
dont ask for help on an internet forum
You'll most likely be put in a study group, I was atleast, with people with similar interests. On our first day, a week ago, we were told to do a small presentation of ourselves and then present it infront of the class.

Tell them what your favourite band is, what you do on your spare time, instruments etc. and sooner, rather than later, someone or someones will want to have you in their study group.
Don't eat instant noodles everyday like me.
Pages: 1 2 3