Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: AMFP Member Review Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43
I've played for four hours and I've only just completed the level with the centrifuge, so people must be racing to get through it in under four hours.
I wish I could watch the people who have played the game for four hours and are only about 30% of the way through. I want to see how you do this. lol
(09-13-2013, 02:08 AM)Macgyverthehero Wrote: [ -> ]So, I just beat the game today, and I have a review:

I liked the setting of the game; we finally got to the place where the last two protagonists in frictional games's games originated (Daniel from Amnesia, and Phillip from the Penumbra Trilogy). Exploring the factory was quite creepy and there was not many, but still some moments where I stood still for five minutes before doing anything.

For the story I did not get some of the things before the events of the game, however I liked the many references to the last game and the reference to World War One's Battle of the Somme. The manpigs in the game were not as scary as the servants in the first game, but it was very interesting and cute to see them interacting with each other in one scene in the game.

The audio in the game I must say was great, I loved the sound effects and the music by Jessica Curry was spot on and fitting to each part of the game. The menu music somewhat reminded me of a theme you would hear in one of the Sly Cooper games or in an Indiana Jones movie.

One other thing I liked was that I actually saw people in the game, so I knew I was not alone in this adventure and that others would experience the same horror as I have.

For gameplay there was some pretty clever puzzles, like the one where you spill the corrosive material on the lock, and use the spotlight to melt it. I was able to recognize many parts of the game that I remembered through the media we were shown in the pictures and the two trailers. One downfall of the gameplay is that you cannot pick up most objects anymore unless it was a key item to solve a puzzle or a chair/stool, so no more throwing bottles or using crates to cover yourself between you and a monster.

For the whole "No inventory", "Unlimited Lantern Power", or "No Sanity" features, I did not mind them as I was too busy finding my way where to go in the large factory of slaughter. Who needs the game to tell you how sane you are? Your sanity meter is permanently installed in yourself to tell you if your losing sanity.

For the scare level, I must say that the game was not as scary as the last game, but still had many moments where I stood still hiding for five minutes before moving again, moments where I went "what the fuck was that?", Nope.avi, and stared for the fact that I thought I saw something.

For improvements I wish the game had more monsters in it that you encountered, more interactable objects, and a less confusing backstory.

I rate this game from 1-10, a 7/10.

Favourite review so far!

EDIT: Please respect other members' views, and do not attack them.
-Kreekakon
(09-14-2013, 04:54 PM)Statyk Wrote: [ -> ]I wish I could watch the people who have played the game for four hours and are only about 30% of the way through. I want to see how you do this. lol

Courtesy of chrono:

(09-13-2013, 03:03 AM)Chronofrog Wrote: [ -> ]aamfp

Spoiler below!
Made it to the church, about to descend into the hole beneath the altar, still no sighting of a monster yet. I definitely heard some pig-thing squealing when I filled up the container for the truck puzzle, though. But when I looked around I didn't see a thing.
3 hours of gameplay.
(09-13-2013, 03:18 AM)Chronofrog Wrote: [ -> ]Based on my perfectionist JRPG gaming habits, I don't like to leave an inch unexplored. Not only that, but I really try to immerse myself. Every time I enter a new room, I have to take a sweeping view across it with my lamp on to get a feel of its ambiance. Next, I explore the four corners of the room by hugging the walls until I've made one full circuit around. If I come across any object while hugging the walls, like a chest or barrel, I scan it meticulously to make sure I cannot pick it up. When I'm back at where I originally entered the room, I then proceed to walk up and down across the center to make sure there isn't something I missed while exploring the walls. All in all, linear corridors take 30 ~ 60 seconds, medium-sized rooms 60+ seconds, and large hallways 5+ minutes. This is because I never run, I'm crouched 90% of the time, and I also freeze up when I hear something strange.

I'm also bad at solving puzzles.

Spoiler below!
It took me like 20 minutes to solve the truck puzzle because I didn't know I had to refill the container and kept trying to shove the container into the truck.

halp cure me of my ocd
(09-11-2013, 10:52 PM)bluel0bster Wrote: [ -> ]Do you whiny lot complaining about a lack of gameplay realize that's just as bad as people complaining that the original game didn't have guns? The direction TCR took this game is to emphasize narrative and atmosphere. They sacrificed minor gameplay elements (inventory, puzzles, etc.) to this effect. If they had had more complicated puzzles and tons of interactable objects, it would rob (or at the least hinder) the game of its purpose: to tell a compelling, thought-provoking narrative. This doesn't make it less of game, it's just a game with a slightly different focus than the original game.

And if you're going to complain about the lack of gameplay compared to TDD, TDD wasn't exactly an action-packed experience either. TDD wasn't about gameplay as far as puzzles and the inventory went, it was about atmosphere and narrative. TCR just took one step further.

And this isn't a direct sequel to TDD. This wasn't advertised in any way as "Amnesia: The Dark Descent 2.0 (Now With Pigs!)". This was obviously a separate entity from TDD, and comparing them to the extent that people have been isn't fair.

And I'm frankly shocked that anybody is surprised. TCR told us a long time ago what they were doing and why. We knew there wouldn't be an inventory. We knew the puzzles would be simplified. It should have been obvious narrative was the focus here. But instead, too many of you all can't look past the lack of gameplay (which honestly really isn't that far removed from TDD) to realize what an amazing game "pigs" is.

If you want more gameplay, go play Dead Space: it has an inventory, puzzles, and gameplay to boot.

You are the winner of the forums. Thank you.
6/10 for me. Reasons:

Story was good.
Good looking environments.
Atmosphere was always spooky.
Music was nice.

Not as scary as TDD
Enemies aren't scary
Too short of a game IMO. TDD was roughly 7/8 hours long at a fair pace, which is ideal.
The absence of "Danger close" monster music was disappointing.
No inventory
Puzzles were sometimes too simple.
"you had a different opinion than me so you're a blinded fanboy that doesn't understand how gaming works" - fucking everyone in this entire thread
That's an argument most prevalent among the supporter camp than the detractors. It can also be boiled down to:

"you don't like the game because you're not an intelligent hipster like me".
(09-11-2013, 03:04 PM)MonoxideDGK Wrote: [ -> ]Absolutely shattered I waited so long for this. Major let down. Kinda hoping FG turn around and say "Just fucking with you all, here is the real game" and hand over a completely different game. ='(

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe it is even true? That would be a major mindfuck indeed, and the real scare would be the discovering the truth about the game itself!
(09-14-2013, 10:29 PM)padawan Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2013, 03:04 PM)MonoxideDGK Wrote: [ -> ]Absolutely shattered I waited so long for this. Major let down. Kinda hoping FG turn around and say "Just fucking with you all, here is the real game" and hand over a completely different game. ='(

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe it is even true? That would be a major mindfuck indeed, and the real scare would be the discovering the truth about the game itself!

#2DEEP4ME
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43