Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Disappointed with AAMFP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
This thread serves no other purpose but to put someone at fault. Yeah, i agree with you, the marketing was a bit misleading, especially when coupled up with the name of it's predecessor, most people (including me) seemed to expect survival horror. Instead the survival horror aspects were removed and it was turned more in to a psychological horror story on rails. Most of the changes you suggest would change the game completely and i doubt that's what TCR want's to do. They made their game, their product and that's what they seem to be satisfied with. And there's no wrong in that.

My own disappointment with the game is that it's so clearly a TCR game. It doesn't feel or play like a video game, it's more of a virtual rail track you get to explore and it really feels like TCR either doesn't understand or care what makes a video game a video game. I just wish it wouldn't have been called an Amnesia game and i might have been able to enjoy it more and in a different way.
I'm going to say what most people (including me) said in the forums.

Different developer, different goal.

Since it's a different developer, they have different goals. Who's to say that sequels can't be the same as the first? Besides, ATDD emphasizes on SURVIVAL HORROR, while AAMFP emphasizes on PSYCHOLOGICAL HORROR.
See the difference here?

Actually, I don't give a shit if it's marketed as Amnesia.
AAMFP focuses on the Story and the Story really hit you hard because TCR is focusing on more of Storytelling meanwhile ATDD was focused a bit more on the scares so ATDD had it's storytelling a bit bad, but the scares are good.
Would it be possible to propose an unbiaised poll, with plain options (Yes/No)? EDIT: thanks for adding another option.

The game's out, I doubt they'll be doing anything at all now. Better continue their work on their next big title. Aside from that, and I've said it many times, I agree with the 4 points you made and that is too bad TCR didn't follow them.

I did enjoy the game a lot but... they need have done a little more and perhaps it would have been universally considered a worthy successor of TDD.
(09-24-2013, 12:19 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to say what most people (including me) said in the forums.

Since it's a different developer, they have different goals. Who's to say that sequels can't be the same as the first? Besides, ATDD emphasizes on SURVIVAL HORROR, while AAMFP emphasizes on PSYCHOLOGICAL HORROR.
See the difference here?

AAMFP focuses on the Story and the Story really hit you hard because TCR is focusing on more of Storytelling meanwhile ATDD was focused a bit more on the scares so ATDD had it's storytelling a bit bad, but the scares are good.

let me be honest. For some psychological horror may not be scary for some. I watch a guy play dead space blind and he laughed all the way through because he didn't think it was scary at all. He might have thought psychological horror had more scare value than survival horror. Everyone likes there own type of horror
(09-24-2013, 12:58 PM)Doomed316 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-24-2013, 12:19 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to say what most people (including me) said in the forums.

See the difference here?

let me be honest. For some psychological horror may not be scary for some. I watch a guy play dead space blind and he laughed all the way through because he didn't think it was scary at all. He might have thought psychological horror had more scare value than survival horror. Everyone likes there own type of horror

I know. But OP kinda, well, rant about it without even considering it's PSYCHOLOGICAL, not SURVIVAL.
(09-24-2013, 11:48 AM)TheUnbeholden Wrote: [ -> ]+Up the encounters by atleast 3-4
+Make the encounters difficult/challenging
+Add scary music when your chased
+Improve the enemy models slightly, perhaps blood streaks, snarling gaped mouth anything.

i disagree with every single point you made here

and this thread

The game is how it is, you dont like it, we get it, now please move on
Can somebody (dear moderators I presume), PLEASE, stop all those complaints, which have became truly annoying? Isn't it possible to merge all those complaints into a single "disappointed players" thread? Really, at first it was normal to observe the division of opinions, lots of complaints. But a Machine for Pigs was released more than a month ago! As a result all those disappointed, unsatisfied, disappointed, unsatisfied, disappointed, unsatisfied... became REALLY ANNOYING.
(09-24-2013, 01:15 PM)Alex Ros Wrote: [ -> ]Can somebody (dear moderators I presume), PLEASE, stop all those complaints, which have became truly annoying? Isn't it possible to merge all those complaints into a single "disappointed players" thread? Really, at first it was normal to observe the division of opinions, lots of complaints. But a Machine for Pigs was released more than a month ago! As a result all those disappointed, unsatisfied, disappointed, unsatisfied, disappointed, unsatisfied... became REALLY ANNOYING.

I know right.

I mean 90% of the threads in the AAMFP General Discussion were players being dissapointed.
its mostly coming from same guys
Self entitled whiners always make the most noise.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32