Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Plot Discussion Thread *Spoiler Alert*
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(09-13-2013, 08:44 PM)rotten Wrote: [ -> ]Well that's a very good explanation, I do like it, except for the thought that the whole game was a dream, that would be baffling.
On the second version... Why did he keep his evil twin alive with his heart out?

Well. Not quite "alive" but "preserved". I'm still working on the details. Trying to do some Sherlock Holmes duty. Hehe

EDIT: Just an addendum.

I'm not lazy by proposing incomplete theories. I post them as I'm thinking on them so maybe it enlightens someone and discovers the answer. Working as a team to get to the bottom of this!
There are two ways this plays out, you take it literally and he made a copy of himself and turned the other half into a beast while leaving his heart behind

Or you take it metaphorically that he left part of himself behind in the machine and used his heart (or his drive and ambition) to power it while the kids hearts also being a metaphor, that he sacrificed them to fuel a great machine.

I for one believe a lot more of this stuff is symbolic and metaphoric rather than him actually having two bodies. If he turned himself into a pig or beast like the others then they wouldn't attack you all the time
(09-13-2013, 08:57 PM)jacksepticeye Wrote: [ -> ]I for one believe a lot more of this stuff is symbolic and metaphoric rather than him actually having two bodies. If he turned himself into a pig or beast like the others then they wouldn't attack you all the time

If the he really turned himself into a pig (though I still believe he became a human, simply without his heart) willingly and his mind remained, more or less, the same, we could assume the others (turned unwillingly) also remembered everything.

Some ran away (the mansion pig), some gave him hints (holding pens in the centrifudge), and only some attacked him (with fury).

EDIT:

Oh, and some still displayed some human behaviors, as seen in the sewers (or bilge).
(09-13-2013, 08:23 PM)Vertical Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-13-2013, 08:11 PM)Integria Wrote: [ -> ]The other takes action, makes himself a beast to avoid bearing the pain of being human. Judging from the journal entries, this seems to go on for quite a while - all the way up until you wake up in your bed.

I've totally forgotten about that.

The Dr's quote from the intro. Then Mandus saw a pig in himself for a lot longer. He couldn't take that he as a human pig would judge other human pigs. Thus he made himself one, he removed his heart and put it into the machine alongside the otherworldly orb/egg (the machine became alive).

Someone revived him then through the Compound X injection and Schumman's lamp. He could no longer consider himself a human, even though he still looked like one. It stripped him of the rest of his "moral brakes". After stunning the professor, he admitted "We're the pig. We are all the pig".

The question would then remain: who revived Mandus? The Machine? One of his loyal workers? Manpigs?

Someone (or something) unlocked the cage surrounding his bed at the beginning of the game AND we could hear their footsteps
I mentioned James Tilly Matthews in a previous post (in regards to the Air Loom), and he is referenced elsewhere.

It appears I have no choice. Thus I descend and may
God have mercy upon my soul. If this is my Bedlam
, and I am to be cast
as Matthews, then I will wear that mantle for the sake of my boys, and face
whatever horrors lie beneath the altar.

Now, Bedlam is the hospital James Tilly Matthews was committed to, due to paranoid schizophrenia. The machine is his asylum, and he is the patient.
It's interesting that he mentions drowning as a perfect way to kill someone who is to be revived with the Compound X. In the meantime since then no one seems to be drowned, manpigs being done with help of "medicine".

The only guy who seems to be plunged in the water is this man in the Iron Lung. So I wonder, maybe it was Mandus who has drowned himself, then his heart was taken out by the machine and then he was revived with the Compound X.
Does anyone have a screenshot of the guy in the iron lung at hand? Can it be confirmed if it's a man and not a woman?
(09-13-2013, 09:41 PM)Corbent Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone have a screenshot of the guy in the iron lung at hand? Can it be confirmed if it's a man and not a woman?
Can't get a screenshot right now but it's definitely a man, he's got a dick and everything.
Spoiler below!
[Image: 2585352DAB12FBF1836DCD531B74A43BB82C07D3]

From Droog's post.
The Machine/Orb does seem to refer to itself as Mandus' "child" of sorts, so that's why the first "Daddy don't kill me" was probably the machine. The Machine/Orb also talks about itself from its own point of view as "the egg" and how he was placed upon the mantle and then put next to the hearts of Mandus' children.

Also the ending monologue referring to the manpigs singing was a throwback to another of Mandus' notes where he stated that such "children" would never sing, and would more easily swear fealty to a god. I took that as a note that the manpigs were free of them both and did indeed have their own minds despite Mandus/Orb's attempts to make them into automatons of their own.