Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: How do you rate Requiem? (or until now)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Penumbra Wrote:
Zeewolf Wrote:I really liked Requiem, in fact for me it represents pretty much what I would like Frictional to concentrate on in the future: Great puzzles, instead of mediocre stealth gameplay.

Yeah, I think Frictional games wants to make more puzzle based games than to only consentrate on horror. They were just experimenting on Requiem.

Them i hope they learn the lesson and dont make more stuff like it.
Yeah, I like puzzle games n' all, but you need a healthy balance between puzzles and some other genre. Like puzzle and action adverture, puzzle and horror, and stuff. Nothing but puzzles is just boring...
It depends though. There are a puzzle genre. But Penumbra is not in the puzzle genre. It's horror. There are differences between those. ^^
Yeah, its a good game n' all, except we were all just expecting the horror genre, not puzzle genre.
nackidno Wrote:It depends though. There are a puzzle genre. But Penumbra is not in the puzzle genre. It's horror. There are differences between those. ^^

Penumbra is puzzle game in the same degree as it's horror. More precisely it's adventure, and adventures were always firmly related to puzzles.
Penumbra Wrote:Yeah, I like puzzle games n' all, but you need a healthy balance between puzzles and some other genre. Like puzzle and action adverture, puzzle and horror, and stuff. Nothing but puzzles is just boring...

I disagree. Look at Portal. And, indeed, Requiem.

The problem here is purely about expectations; had you known what kind of game Requiem was, you would not have bought it. You thought you bought a new game in the same vein of the other Penumbras, and was disappointed when that turned out not to be the case.

I hope the lesson Frictional Games learns from this is not that they should stay away from pure puzzle games - in fact, I hope they do quite the opposite. But next time they release a puzzler, they should make sure that nobody expects it to be something else.

I'm pretty sure that if the game had been called something other than Penumbra: Requiem, people would have been a lot more positive about it. It's really a shame, because it is a very good product which doesn't deserve all this negativity.
I liked Black plague because there was no combat mode but I wished it had more creatures(like the hunter) and more logs like in overture. For now, I'll wait for Lux Tenebras.
I agree with Zeewolf except about expectations. I think after the end of BP, playing out the puzzles in Phillips own mind was a fitting ending.
Frictional games said Requiem was all puzzles and wrap up a few loose ends. That's exactly what they delivered. If anyone expected anything different, they just were not paying attention. I think we're all lucky as heckfire to have the final part of the trilogy.
I give it an 8.5. I thought the game was great. It wasn't as scarry as the others, but the puzzles were great,and you got to hear Red again.
Pages: 1 2 3 4