Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Something Weird (not necessarily support question though)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So... not sure where to put this; here or general discussion. Could be both.

I installed AMFP with Dreamdesktop animated wallpapers running (KDE's version of Dreamscene on Windows). The game works perfectly at some custom high levels that I shared with TDD. There is some slight loss of frame rate at times.

Now, I switched back to a normal static desktop wallpaper to get some extra performance (dreamdesktop can be a hog) but I encountered the "Black Screen" problem mentioned in the main topic area. Ok I thought. Killed the session, logged back in and changed to a different wallpaper. AMFP refused to start. Nothing in the logs to suggest an error; just wouldn't start. I reboot this time. AMFP starts and no black screen. "Cool fixed" I thought. I quit AMFP and restart to make sure. Black screen. etc etc ad nauseam...

Revert back to dreamdesktop... no more issues (apart from enemies punching me out of maps and candles getting stuck on church banisters Wink).

I have no idea why this behaviour happens, and have no clue where to begin diagnosing this. It's just weird. For reference, TDD does not have issues with either desktop scenario.

Anyway, if someone thinks they can diagnose this, my system specs are:

CPU: i7 3770K
Mem: 8 Gig
Graphics: nVidia GTX260; driver ver: nVidia 319.32

Cheers
More experimenting.

Black screen is hit and miss. With or without SSAO enabled. One time it will work just fine, the next run it will have the black screen problem. Regardless of what settings are used, I've tried them all. Yet TDD works flawlessly. I even tried reinstalling the game with the normal static desktop, and that seemed to work for a little while. Any alteration to desktop settings; even just changing the wallpaper will initiate the black screen issue. I don't think the problem is purely with SSAO as outlined in the main thread. It's too random for that.

Here is the HPL log from that last failed run. It has errors; which is something I didn't see previously.
Code:
Version 1.20

-------- THE HPL ENGINE LOG ------------
Creating Engine Modules
--------------------------------------------------------
Creating graphics module
Creating system module
Creating resource module
Creating input module
Creating sound module
Creating physics module
Creating ai module
Creating gui module
Creating generate module
Creating haptic module
Creating scene module

Initializing Resources Module
Creating loader handlers
Creating resource managers
Adding loaders to handlers

Initializing Graphics Module
Init lowlevel graphics: 1280x1024 disp:0 bpp:32 fs:1 ms:0 gpufmt:2 cap:'Amnesia - A Machine For Pigs Loading...' pos:(-1x-1)
Setting video mode: 1280 x 1024 - 32 bpp
Init Glew...OK
Setting up OpenGL
  Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
  Renderer: GeForce GTX 260/PCIe/SSE2
  Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 319.32
  Max texture image units: 32
  Max texture coord units: 8
  Max user clip planes: 8
  Two sided stencil: 1
  Vertex Buffer Object: 1
  Anisotropic filtering: 1
  Max Anisotropic degree: 16
  Multisampling: 1
  Texture compression: 1
  Texture compression S3TC: 1
  Auto generate MipMaps: 1
  Render to texture: 1
  Max draw buffers: 8
  Max color render targets: 8
  Packed depth-stencil: 1
  Texture float: 1
  GLSL Version: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
  ShaderModel 2: 1
  ShaderModel 3: 1
  ShaderModel 4: 1
  OGL ATIFragmentShader: 0
Setting up G-Bugger: type: 0 texturenum: 3
Adding engine materials
Initializing DevIL
  Vendor String: Abysmal Software
  Version String: Developer's Image Library (DevIL) 1.7.8
  Version Number: 178
Adding engine post effects

Initializing Sound Module
Initializing OpenAL
  Available OpenAL devices:
   0. PulseAudio Software(OpenAL default)
   1. ALSA Software on default
   2. ALSA Software on Hoontech SoundTrack Audio DSP24 [ICE1712 multi] (hw:0,0)
   3. ALSA Software on Hoontech SoundTrack Audio DSP24 [ICE1712 consumer] (hw:0,1)
   4. ALSA Software on Hoontech SoundTrack Audio DSP24 [ICE1712 consumer (DS)] (hw:0,2)
   5. ALSA Software on HDA Intel PCH [ALC892 Analog] (hw:1,0)
   6. ALSA Software on HDA Intel PCH [ALC892 Digital] (hw:1,1)
   7. OSS Software
  Trying to open device 'PulseAudio Software'... Success!
  Number of mono sources: 64
  Streaming setup: 8 Buffers x 262144 bytes each

Initializing Game Module
Adding engine updates
Initializing script functions

User Initialization
WARNING: Could not find language file entry 'WelcomeMessage05'

Game Running
-------- Loading map 'menu_bg.map' ---------
    Cache Loading: 795 ms
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 12 to attach to entity 'spraylock_engines_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/engine_spraylock.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 13 to attach to entity 'spraylock_engines_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/engine_spraylock.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 14 to attach to entity 'spraylock_engines_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/engine_spraylock.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 15 to attach to entity 'spraylock_engines_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/engine_spraylock.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 16 to attach to entity 'spraylock_engines_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/engine_spraylock.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 17 to attach to entity 'spraylock_engines_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/engine_spraylock.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 18 to attach to entity 'spraylock_engines_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/engine_spraylock.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 19 to attach to entity 'spraylock_engines_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/engine_spraylock.ent'
WARNING: Sub mesh 'Box001' does not exist in mesh 'fan_spraylock.msh'!
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 13 to attach to entity 'spraylock_spray_switch_gauges_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/switch_gauges.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 15 to attach to entity 'spraylock_spray_switch_gauges_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/switch_gauges.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 14 to attach to entity 'spraylock_spray_switch_gauges_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/switch_gauges.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 14 to attach to entity 'spraylock_electric_cabin_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/electric_cabin_spraylock.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 15 to attach to entity 'spraylock_electric_cabin_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/electric_cabin_spraylock.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 16 to attach to entity 'spraylock_electric_cabin_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/electric_cabin_spraylock.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 17 to attach to entity 'spraylock_electric_cabin_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/electric_cabin_spraylock.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 18 to attach to entity 'spraylock_electric_cabin_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/electric_cabin_spraylock.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 19 to attach to entity 'spraylock_electric_cabin_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/electric_cabin_spraylock.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 20 to attach to entity 'spraylock_electric_cabin_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/electric_cabin_spraylock.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 21 to attach to entity 'spraylock_electric_cabin_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/electric_cabin_spraylock.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 22 to attach to entity 'spraylock_electric_cabin_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/electric_cabin_spraylock.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 23 to attach to entity 'spraylock_electric_cabin_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/electric_cabin_spraylock.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 24 to attach to entity 'spraylock_electric_cabin_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/electric_cabin_spraylock.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 25 to attach to entity 'spraylock_electric_cabin_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/electric_cabin_spraylock.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 28 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_1_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door01_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 29 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_1_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door01_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 30 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_1_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door01_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 31 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_1_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door01_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 32 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_1_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door01_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 33 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_1_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door01_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 34 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_1_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door01_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 35 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_1_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door01_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 36 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_1_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door01_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 37 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_1_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door01_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 38 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_1_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door01_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 39 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_1_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door01_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 40 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_1_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door01_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 41 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_1_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door01_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 42 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_1_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door01_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 43 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_1_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door01_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 44 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_1_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door01_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 45 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_1_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door01_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 3 to attach to entity 'spraylock_power_gauges_Body_1' in 'entities/gauges/gauges_spraylock03.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 2 to attach to entity 'spraylock_power_gauges_Body_1' in 'entities/gauges/gauges_spraylock03.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 1 to attach to entity 'spraylock_power_gauges_Body_1' in 'entities/gauges/gauges_spraylock03.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 0 to attach to entity 'spraylock_power_gauges_Body_1' in 'entities/gauges/gauges_spraylock03.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 5 to attach to entity 'spraylock_gauge_inside_1_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/door_valve_gauge_02.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 4 to attach to entity 'spraylock_gauge_inside_1_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/door_valve_gauge_02.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 5 to attach to entity 'spraylock_gauge_inside_2_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/door_valve_gauge_03.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 4 to attach to entity 'spraylock_gauge_inside_2_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/door_valve_gauge_03.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 13 to attach to entity 'spraylock_spray_switch_gauges_1_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/switch_gauge_01.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 12 to attach to entity 'spraylock_spray_switch_gauges_1_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/switch_gauge_01.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 49 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_2_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door02_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 50 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_2_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door02_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 51 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_2_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door02_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 52 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_2_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door02_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 53 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_2_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door02_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 54 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_2_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door02_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 55 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_2_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door02_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 56 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_2_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door02_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 57 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_2_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door02_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 58 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_2_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door02_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 59 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_2_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door02_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 60 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_2_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door02_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 61 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_2_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door02_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 62 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_2_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door02_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 63 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_2_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door02_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 64 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_2_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door02_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 65 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_2_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door02_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 66 to attach to entity 'spraylock_door_2_door' in 'entities/spraylock/door02_closed.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 0 to attach to entity 'spraylock_gauges_Body_1' in 'entities/gauges/gauges_spraylock01.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 1 to attach to entity 'spraylock_gauges_Body_1' in 'entities/gauges/gauges_spraylock01.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 2 to attach to entity 'spraylock_gauges_Body_1' in 'entities/gauges/gauges_spraylock01.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 3 to attach to entity 'spraylock_gauges_Body_1' in 'entities/gauges/gauges_spraylock01.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 4 to attach to entity 'spraylock_gauges_Body_1' in 'entities/gauges/gauges_spraylock01.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 5 to attach to entity 'spraylock_gauges_Body_1' in 'entities/gauges/gauges_spraylock01.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 6 to attach to entity 'spraylock_gauges_Body_1' in 'entities/gauges/gauges_spraylock01.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 1 to attach to entity 'spraylock_gauge_outside_2_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/door_valve_gauge_04.ent'
WARNING: Could not find child with unique ID 0 to attach to entity 'spraylock_gauge_outside_2_Body_1' in 'entities/spraylock/door_valve_gauge_04.ent'
  Entities: 1433 ms
  Compilation: 0 ms
  Total: 2353 ms
  Meshes created: 13
  Bodies created: 3
-------- Loading complete ---------

It must be said that these issues "seem to be" when using the static picture desktop wallpaper setting. At least I have not had any issues when running DreamDesktop other than a reduced frame rate and higher CPU usage.

Cheers
It sounds very strange, if anything as you say it should be problematic to run the game with DD and not with a regular static desktop. I don't know enough about Linux to offer any insight.

Your log looks like it should.

It is possible it has to do with color grading, we are going to release a patch in the coming weeks that adds the option to disabled color grading, so could try then and see if turning it off in the game makes any difference.
Thanks Jens,

I'm not a Linux Guru, but I'm not a total noob either. I can diagnose "most" things and know where to look to be able to fix them, or know where to find answers when I don't know myself. This issue though, seems to to defy logic, but for the sake of a few frames I think I can live with DD active. The patch will be a good experiment if nothing else Smile

Cheers