Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Editing the grunt
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello members.

I'm trying to edit the servant_grunt right now.
What I'm aiming at is to have him completely invisible, but have several particlesystems tied to him.
What I'm struggling with right now is to make him invisible*. Is there any smart way to do this?

*What I mean is, for him to have no textures. You'd be able to see through him.
I don't have time to confirm this by testing it right now, but...

...you could try opening up the Grunt's texture, checking "Alpha", and applying a image that completely obscures the texture. I quickly did it with a partially black image, and most of the texture in the material preview just flat-out becomes invisible.

EDIT:

The quick test I did. I used the Grunt's hair as the alpha image.

Spoiler below!
[Image: xVNGNmW.png]
Nice! I'll check it out! Thanks!
Oh and as for having several particle systems tied to him it should be as simple as going into the model editor, and adding them Smile
I figured out the particle systems... But the textures...
I was able to make him invisible... But as soon as i look at him ingame it crashes...
What I did was going to the .dae folder and changing some "servant_grunt" to "fog_spirit", in places i thought was right... probably not.
PHP Code:
<material id="fog_spirit_hair_material" name="servant_grunt_hair_material">
      <
instance_effect url="#servant_grunt_hair_material-fx"/>
    </
material>
  </
library_materials>
  <
library_effects>
    <
effect id="servantgrunt_material-fx">
      <
profile_COMMON>
        <
newparam sid="servantgrunt_dds-surface">
          <
surface type="2D">
            <
init_from>fogspirit_dds</init_from>
            <
format>A8R8G8B8</format>
          </
surface>
        </
newparam>
        <
newparam sid="servantgrunt_dds-sampler">
          <
sampler2D>
            <
source>fogspirit_dds-surface</source
I'm just throwing out random theories that I have never tried at this point that will likely never work but...

...what happens if you edit the .dae to not point to any texture at all?
That's a good question.

Do you know where exactly it's pointing to textures? Because there are a LOT of places where it says something with "servant_grunt" and "dds"?

EDIT: NOOOOPE. Not a good idea. Model editor crashed
"library_images"? Try searching for that.

Now that I think about it though telling the model to point to no texture will likely make the game crash anyways. Worth a try though XD
Eeeeh!!!
Now he turned black... as he should because I'm not that good with paint.net... Now I need to find a way to make this texture transparent..
Lulz... My monster turned emo...
(09-16-2013, 06:40 PM)Darth FlawlessHair Wrote: [ -> ]Eeeeh!!!
Now he turned black... as he should because I'm not that good with paint.net... Now I need to find a way to make this texture transparent..
Lulz... My monster turned emo...

.png with alpha? Does that work?
Pages: 1 2 3