Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: HELP TEST AAMFP 1.02 PATCH
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
(10-05-2013, 12:51 PM)Googolplex Wrote: [ -> ]Can you make a video of the stuttering?
Where does it happen? Always in the same area?

The stuttering happens at lots and lots of different points, it's just before an event is about to happen for example the children speaking like a millisecond before they speak the framerate drops a little, or some kind of noise or when you are opening a door or sometimes picking something up like a note or the lantern for the first time it drops by about 5 frames then back up to 60,
(10-05-2013, 01:01 PM)ThurGzy Wrote: [ -> ]The stuttering happens at lots and lots of different points, it's just before an event is about to happen for example the children speaking like a millisecond before they speak the framerate drops a little, or some kind of noise or when you are opening a door or sometimes picking something up like a note or the lantern for the first time it drops by about 5 frames then back up to 60,

Hmm, normally this could happen on slow CPU's, but yours is one of the fastest out there. Perhaps the game has some problems with Hyper-Threading? When the engine is programmed to run on 1, 2 or 4 CPU threads it could be that it runs on virtual cores instead on real cores.

An i5 shouldn't have this problems then. I have also an i7 with Hyper-Threading, but mine is a new architecture.

Or an other reason could be that the internal caches of the game are using not enough memory for dynamic loads, so that it needs too much resources to load a sound file for example. A solution for this probably could be to load all entities everytime when starting a new level. This would mean longer loading time and more memory usage, but smoother FPS, because the game doesn't need to load such things again. It's just my guess. Jens should better know how the engine works.
(10-05-2013, 11:48 AM)plutomaniac Wrote: [ -> ]Can you both state your system specifications?

CPU: Intel i7 2600k
GPU: GeForce GTX 670 (latest drivers)
RAM: 16gb
HDD: Crucial M4 128GB
I'm not able to reproduce this with my system, which is fairly similar.

CPU: i5-3570K
GPU: Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
RAM: 8GB
SSD: Vertex 2 120GB

Are you sure you both have the same "issue"? One says that it's constant 40fps and another that it's fluctuating between 40 and 60. I know you have high end gpus but try leaving SSAO to Medium.
(10-05-2013, 10:15 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not able to reproduce this with my system, which is fairly similar.

CPU: i5-3570K
GPU: Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
RAM: 8GB
SSD: Vertex 2 120GB

Are you sure you both have the same "issue"? One says that it's constant 40fps and another that it's fluctuating between 40 and 60. I know you have high end gpus but try leaving SSAO to Medium.

As soon as I start the game up the frame rate gets locked to 40fps and never fluctuates. In regards to turning SSAO to a lower setting, I've already tried setting everything to the bare minimum and the frame rate issue still persists. This doesn't happen in the non-patched version; with that I could crank all the settings to maximum and never have the FPS dip below 60.
Yeah whereas mine is at 40 sometimes then switches to 60, with the original install it would always be at 60 but would stutter when events happen.
You also should try to disable V-Sync in nVIDIA driver (to unlock 40 FPS limit).
Seems like the stuttering is just there when events happen. I can confirm that I also noticed this for me.

A question to Jens:
It seems like the game is loading files only then when they were needed. For example you hear the children saying "Daddy! Daddy! Find us!". That means your HDD (where the game is installed) has to find and load the files. So I mean wouldn't it better to load all files from HDD into the physical memory when starting a level? As I said before, this would mean 200 MB more memory usage and 5 seconds longer loading times, but smoother FPS. And this also would relieve the HDD utilization which could be the reason for those hangs and stutters.

Better to have them all in physical memory to load much faster and the game doesn't need to "wait" for the files anymore.
Have you both made sure that your Nvidia Control Panel 3D Settings are set to default? That means both Global and Program Settings (for Program I mean any Amnesia executable) are set to defaults.
(10-06-2013, 01:35 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: [ -> ]Have you both made sure that your Nvidia Control Panel 3D Settings are set to default? That means both Global and Program Settings (for Program I mean any Amnesia executable) are set to defaults.

Yeah all mine are set to defaults, also I meant to say that when the fps on this new patch does go up to 60 fps I still notice stutters when events happen and I noticed that this 40fps lock that fluctuates seems to happen when you read a note or look at a menu but not all the time sometimes it's just random
To optimize memory usage, I recommend to "flag" aamfp.exe to use more than 2GB of RAM. A normal 32-bit program is able to handle up to 4GB of RAM, but most programs like AAMFP are limited to a maximum of 2GB. When you enable the flag, it allows to use the full memory (4GB) for a 32-bit process.

I downloaded the tool CFF-Explorer, opened the aamfp.exe (1.02), clicked on "File Header" and then on the right side on "Click here" and then set the flag "App can handle >2GB address space". After it's done, just save and overwrite the original file.

[Image: 53iewaqx.jpg]

This already brought a lot of stability and performance in games which have to cache a lot of stuff. This will not bring more FPS, but probably cause a good effect.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12