Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: What hides between Shadow and Light?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Some random info I've put together, in hopes of a clue. Haven't seen any yet though.
Concentrating on the second half of it, as the first part has already been solved.

LETTERS USED (notice the strong letter differences, some are used often others not)
V and S could be vowels - they're used quite a bit.
Quote:A=5
B=3
C =5
D=4
E=1
F=6
G= 4
H=2
I=7
J=7
K=1
L=2
M=8
N =4
O=3
P= 5
Q =5
R=5
S=9
T =2
U=5
V=10
W=4
X=1
Y =4
Z=5

Nothing significant here.
Quote:YNGPPUZFVKJZIDSTCWIZVYIDFYVQOPSBAVJUIUNJVPLIFRMHMZQDFABMNWMMLRYSWAQAZRSXQEDMJWHSG
3 9 7 4 8 9 5 7 11 6 6 13 7
NUMBER COUNT 13 (95 added together)
LETTER COUNT 81 (6.23 letters per numeral)

VJBSFJVTCSVVCPFIMGMUNSOCOQGRRJUCAVIS
8 6 9 6 11 8 3
NUMBER COUNT 7 (51 added together)
LETTER COUNT 36 (5.14 letters per numeral)

Quote:Silently evil emerged darkness.
This seems to be a part of the puzzle - grammatically, it makes little sense. I highly doubt they'd throw in a random programming term either. It's before the numbers.
Could it be parts of the first and second sentence?

Quote:As someone said in the earlier posts, the letter count is strange. They can be squared easily.
LINE 1
YNGPPUZFV
KJZIDSTCW
IZVYIDFYV
QOPSBAVJU
IUNJVPLIF
RMHMZQDFA
BMNWMMLRY
SWAQAZRSX
QEDMJWHSG

LINE 2
VJBSFJ
VTCSVV
CPFIMG
MUNSOC
OQGRRJ
UCAVIS
Not all the fanboys in the world could crack Frictional games's da vinci code.
Okay. Since it would be fun if someone solved this I am going to give some final hints:

- The puzzle is HARD.
- The puzzle is a sequence of hints and puzzles.
- All parts above the secret text must be solved/understood before the text can be deciphered.
- Analyzing the text alone will not give any information unless the above parts are solved and understood.
- The hints outside the puzzle (in one trailer and on website) are important leads, but not needed for solving.
- The puzzle is quite math focused, but no major knowledge is required.
- Solving the text does not solve the puzzle but takes one very close.
- Most (if not all) of the solutions to the different parts (above the text) have been touched at in the previous posts.

Last Hint: Less-safe-procedural-Vernam

These are the last hint I will give. If that is not enough then I will take the secret with me to my grave.
Hahaha, thankyou Thomas!! I will get my crack team of chimpanzees on it right away!
Just wonder when Thomas is already burried for the hundred years and THEN someone solves this puzzle! I guess Thomas will turn around in his grave. Big Grin:
(07-28-2009, 12:28 PM)Scraper Wrote: [ -> ]Just wonder when Thomas is already burried for the hundred years and THEN someone solves this puzzle! I guess Thomas will turn around in his grave. Big Grin:

I have actually built in a self destruct device that will make the puzzle unsolvable when I die. So have that front covered.
So, what do we know?
The first part is an all-anagrams... anyone has any clue what the T -> B, C -> C, Q -> H part might mean? We're not supposed to exchange Ts with Bs at least (notably there are only two ts in the final text). Some people have looked at the letters respective numbers, what did you get from that?

Silently evil emerged darkness.
3, 9, 7, 4, 8, 9, 5, 7, 11, 6, 6, 13, 7,
8, 6, 9, 6, 11, 8, 13,

That's probably the part we should look at right now, in case we need to understand that before solving the text.

(07-28-2009, 11:14 AM)Thomas Wrote: [ -> ]- The hints outside the puzzle (in one trailer and on website) are important leads, but not needed for solving.
Anyone knows what these are?

The Vernam part however is an anagram for: Self-valued, sparse romancer...? That might not be right...
I am awfully sorry, but there have been an error in the puzzle and it has now been fixed.

The line
8, 6, 9, 6, 11, 8, 13,
has been expanded to:
8, 6, 9, 6, 11, 8, 13, 10, 15, 8, 11, 4, 9,

Website has been updated...

Really sorry about this, no idea how I could have let it slip. Now I have gone over the whole thing several times and everything should be correct now. Next time I will not make such a complicated puzzle....

Because of this I want to give some other hints:
- The numbers in the sequences are not the that important. What is important is the thing that they lead to.
- "Silently evil emerged darkness" could have the word "snare" added at the end. Or even "sloth", "smear" and many others.

Again sorry for this great slip.... Sad
(07-28-2009, 12:40 PM)Thomas Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-28-2009, 12:28 PM)Scraper Wrote: [ -> ]Just wonder when Thomas is already burried for the hundred years and THEN someone solves this puzzle! I guess Thomas will turn around in his grave. Big Grin:

I have actually built in a self destruct device that will make the puzzle unsolvable when I die. So have that front covered.

Aww... That's a shame. Then I guess we will never find a solution to this... Sad:
So, I´m starting to think that the guy, who said that the "hole-digging critters" were bugs in a computer program, was right!

If that is so, a "way to track this development" would be version control software. For example, Subversion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subversion_(software)

The same guy said that a "seed" was slang for "initial setting of some random number generating machine". Well, Thomas gave us a hint - Vernam - and googling that lead me to this encryption related article:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-time_pad
The Article Wrote:The one-time pad is derived from the Vernam cipher
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18