Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: When I play A:DD after A:MFP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Post your stories. I found the difference in interactive objects and general physics had a massive impact on immersion. In Justine many rooms had six to ten independent movable objects. The initial cell area, with its separate room, had around thirty, and the library had over 20. Player mods are crammed with them; 'The Great Work' has rooms with around 20 objects. What a difference it makes to immersion.

[Image: Amnesia.PNG]
Rage faces are like so last week
It's worth noting that playing ABig GrinD after A:MFP does make you more appreciative of the new engine; even in the tiny screenshots in my original post you can see the significant improvement in appearance. Certainly A:MFP is a lovely game to look at.
Yeah, this makes me glad you weren't allowed to throw stuff around like an utter maniac in A Machine For Pigs. Rolleyes

I do agree, however, that I get a better sense of being in the game world when I have more opportunities to mess with objects.
Eh, it's not something I missed all that much (the billiards made up for it for me >_>).

It never really struck me as anything that took away from the experience.
(11-04-2013, 11:57 AM)Alardem Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, this makes me glad you weren't allowed to throw stuff around like an utter maniac in A Machine For Pigs. Rolleyes

I do agree, however, that I get a better sense of being in the game world when I have more opportunities to mess with objects.

It's not about messing with objects, it's about the immersion. The more you can interact with the world, the more you feel you're in it. The greater the level of puzzle complexity (the stacking puzzle in Justine for example), the more satisfying. And then there's the challenge of using the environment in ways the developers didn't consider, as in TDD, in which you could use objects to reach places which were apparently off limits, or get to areas without your hand being held.
(11-04-2013, 02:53 PM)Fortigurn Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-04-2013, 11:57 AM)Alardem Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, this makes me glad you weren't allowed to throw stuff around like an utter maniac in A Machine For Pigs. Rolleyes

It's not about messing with objects, it's about the immersion. The more you can interact with the world, the more you feel you're in it. The greater the level of puzzle complexity (the stacking puzzle in Justine for example), the more satisfying. And then there's the challenge of using the environment in ways the developers didn't consider, as in TDD, in which you could use objects to reach places which were apparently off limits, or get to areas without your hand being held.

I agree; my comment was geared more towards the silly manner in which the complaint was expressed. Using memes as critique ruins credibility.
(11-04-2013, 03:09 PM)Alardem Wrote: [ -> ]Using memes as critique ruins credibility.

What? Are you using that 'My hair is a bird: your argument is invalid' meme?
I thought it made sense from a story perspective. "I must save my children, but first I'm going to organize these barrels and make a tower of boxes. What was my mission?"
(11-04-2013, 04:23 PM)i3670 Wrote: [ -> ]I thought it made sense from a story perspective. "I must save my children, but first I'm going to organize these barrels and make a tower of boxes. What was my mission?"

No, it's more like 'I must save my children, and in order to do so I need to remove these obstacles'. The game didn't exactly encourage you to hurry, and at several stages it had you casually ambling around the place looking for several items to combine to solve puzzles and remove obstacles. The children were one of the weakest parts of the plot; the game set you up for a lengthy journey, and did its best to slow you down, while the voice on the line became increasingly less concerned with encouraging you to save them.
Pages: 1 2 3