Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Memento Not Showing - Solved
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Seems like scripting doesn't like me even from the early stages.

Onto my problem. I'm following Russ Money's tutorial on creating a memento/quest (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfgFEG4TSCE), yet even though I follow it to the best of my abilities, my memento still won't show.

I get the notification that I've received a memento, however, when I open my journal to look, I don't see text. However there is a hyphen right before where the text should be.

I'm sure this is going to be the easiest fix in the world, but because scripting has a lot of variables, I get confused very easily, and very fast. My need for everything to be organized doesn't help either, so I refuse to move on until this problem is solved.

My script can be reviewed in the following spoilers.

Spoiler below!

extra_english.lang script is:

<CATEGORY Name ="Journal">

<Entry Name="Quest_searchHomeQuest_Text">I need to find out why my memory is gone. I should search the house.</Entry>

</CATEGORY>

Spoiler below!

map.hps file script is:

void OnStart()
{
AddEntityCollideCallback("Player", "searchHomeQuest_area", "GetSearchHome", true, 1);

}

void GetSearchHome(string &in asParent, string &in asChild, int alState)
{
AddQuest("searchhome", "searchHomeQuest");
}

And yes, the script box in my map is named searchHomeQuest_area.

I'm sure I probably seem like the biggest noob in the world, not even able to figure out a memento, but like I said, lots of functions, confused easily.
Have you got <LANGUAGE> at the top and </LANGUAGE> at the end of your .lang file?
(01-26-2014, 09:37 PM)ingedoom Wrote: [ -> ]Have you got <LANGUAGE> at the top and </LANGUAGE> at the end of your .lang file?

Yep.
I'm pretty sure you need the boolean in your callback syntax

void GetSearchHome(string &in asParent, string &in asChild, boolean abDeleteOnCollide, int alState)

edit: that makes no sense... How dumb of me.
Oh lord. Solved. There was another 'a' on the end of my "..._Quest_Area" that I didn't see because the title was long and cut off on the editor.

Thanks for your help, ingedoom! I'm a moron. Hahaha.
You are very welcome.