Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Map caches
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey,
I need some help here. I'm creating a non-linear custom story, so the player has to pass the same area at least twice. Somewhere you try to interact with a door, but instead of opening it, it falls over. (Basically a normal door, but with the axis turned 90 degrees). If the player leaves the map using a level door and re-enters it, will the door be in the same position? I think it doesn't work that way, and you have to use map caches, but I don't know how to load them when you enter the map again. Could someone explain?
Won't enabling full game save be enough for this ? It's a simple option you can check/uncheck in the Entity tab.

Not sure about it though, I honestly have no idea what it exactly saves. At least the active/inactive status.
I am fairly sure enabling "full game save" on the entity should do the trick. That way the entity will be in the state it was when leaving the map.
Yeah, that should work. The map caches don't affect the gameplay in any way. They are only there to make it load the maps faster, just like most other caches.
Ah okay, thanks.
Much thanks very welcome. Much np :B
My turn for a question,
Dont map caches save the position of said entities that have the fullgamesave option ticked? For example, I make OriginalUsername's door fall, I leave, delete cache, then come back and its fixed again?

No that would be counter-productive and lead to problems in script... so they are saved in the save file?
Okay I'm not actually 100% sure about that, but I do think it is saved in the save files and not the cache. A cache's purpose is just for faster loading and programs should not save important information in them. It does say that if you use the FullGameSave a lot it will eat up space for the save, so I'm guessing it's stored there.