Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: SCP HAZARDOUS [Beta Testing At June 1TH!]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There are two types of jumpscares.

1. Clever jumpscares
Scares which are used to the advantage of scaring someone when already in a creepy environment, which does not kill the immersion of the player. Notable ways of doing so would be to have a monster sound play, but you can see him or hear him very close by, but may or may not harm the player. Justine did this in the first hallway, and the original Amnesia did this pretty well also in the Prison areas.

Other examples of clever jumpscares would be ones beneficial towards the story and/or progression. Making the floor collapse underneath you or seeing a door suddenly slam on you and then lock can force someone to either look for a way around or finding a way to continue the progression.

Damascus' newer CS had a scare with stools. Not exactly in this category, but is rather unusual and unique. I wouldn't suspect many people to come up with a jumpscares like that.

And 2. Inappropriate and/or avoidable jumpscares

The player loses immersion and/or laughs at themselves and/or hates themselves for falling for it. Immersion is what draws and keeps interest in a player. SCP CB does this VERY well by keeping the player on their toes, unsure of when they may be threatened exactly because they're in an unusual environment every time and one blink can screw you over.

Seeing flying naked people jurisdicts an automatic, inappropriate jumpscare, as it is quite stupid and immature. Making something spawn in a closet just as you touch it is also, quite stupid for a jumpscare.
Statues.. Well, they can add to a creepy feeling as they are humanoid and still, BUT shouldn't be overused.

Now I'm not saying that your project WILL do number 2 and follow an inappropriate means, but don't make jumpscares just because you're being peer pressured to do so. Make this however YOU want it. We as a forum will both criticize and praise some of your work, but you have to accept not everybody will like it just because it lacks what they expected.

I'd just like to remind you that while you can script jumpscares, they are best left RANDOM if following either of the two types above. This is something which can be very heavily difficult to do in HPL2, as all random events come back to a randomly returned float (number). One play through, you could have a monster groan as you start, another, you might have start in a different room.

Just do your mod as you want to. We'll tell you what we think is good or bad. You take it any way you want, and just complete your mod however you feel appropriate, jump scares galore or just scripted events.

It's your call Sten.
(04-26-2014, 03:56 PM)Romulator Wrote: [ -> ]There are two types of jumpscares.

1. Clever jumpscares
Scares which are used to the advantage of scaring someone when already in a creepy environment, which does not kill the immersion of the player. Notable ways of doing so would be to have a monster sound play, but you can see him or hear him very close by, but may or may not harm the player. Justine did this in the first hallway, and the original Amnesia did this pretty well also in the Prison areas.

Other examples of clever jumpscares would be ones beneficial towards the story and/or progression. Making the floor collapse underneath you or seeing a door suddenly slam on you and then lock can force someone to either look for a way around or finding a way to continue the progression.

Damascus' newer CS had a scare with stools. Not exactly in this category, but is rather unusual and unique. I wouldn't suspect many people to come up with a jumpscares like that.

And 2. Inappropriate and/or avoidable jumpscares

The player loses immersion and/or laughs at themselves and/or hates themselves for falling for it. Immersion is what draws and keeps interest in a player. SCP CB does this VERY well by keeping the player on their toes, unsure of when they may be threatened exactly because they're in an unusual environment every time and one blink can screw you over.

Seeing flying naked people jurisdicts an automatic, inappropriate jumpscare, as it is quite stupid and immature. Making something spawn in a closet just as you touch it is also, quite stupid for a jumpscare.
Statues.. Well, they can add to a creepy feeling as they are humanoid and still, BUT shouldn't be overused.

Now I'm not saying that your project WILL do number 2 and follow an inappropriate means, but don't make jumpscares just because you're being peer pressured to do so. Make this however YOU want it. We as a forum will both criticize and praise some of your work, but you have to accept not everybody will like it just because it lacks what they expected.

I'd just like to remind you that while you can script jumpscares, they are best left RANDOM if following either of the two types above. This is something which can be very heavily difficult to do in HPL2, as all random events come back to a randomly returned float (number). One play through, you could have a monster groan as you start, another, you might have start in a different room.

Just do your mod as you want to. We'll tell you what we think is good or bad. You take it any way you want, and just complete your mod however you feel appropriate, jump scares galore or just scripted events.

It's your call Sten.
Right.
Also,The SCPS at SCP Hazarodus are still grunts.I will need another people working with me.If it`s possible.A guy that will help me animate monsters.
Like Great Work,Mongrels are still brutes.
My SCPS,are still grunts.
what is the entity name for AMFP mansion lamp?
(04-26-2014, 05:31 PM)stenclowskimat Wrote: [ -> ]what is the entity name for AMFP mansion lamp?

Is it like the one which is a green lamp and when you click it, it turns green and when you click it again it will turn off?
yes...
(04-26-2014, 05:42 PM)stenclowskimat Wrote: [ -> ]yes...

It's called "gas_lamp_desk"
(04-26-2014, 05:58 PM)Badcat5550 Wrote: [ -> ]

It's called "Mansion_Lamp"

where it`s located?
(04-26-2014, 05:59 PM)stenclowskimat Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-26-2014, 05:58 PM)Badcat5550 Wrote: [ -> ]

It's called "Mansion_Lamp"

where it`s located?

sorry it's called "gas_lamp_desk"
thanks a lot!
(04-26-2014, 06:02 PM)stenclowskimat Wrote: [ -> ]thanks a lot!

I told you where it's located on your other thread "entity for amnesia lamp "