Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: The Trapdoor - FULL RELEASE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
[Image: banner_trapdoor.png]

The Trapdoor is available for download over at ModDb and at aethericgames.com, where you can also find videos and blog posts.

[Edit 15/06/14] Current version is 1.3, which includes tweaks, minor fixes and 3 new gameplay modes. Change-log and read-me in post below.

The Trapdoor is a portrait of Jonathan Burke, a lonely servitor to an unseen and diabolical master. As isolation, incarceration, and debasement inevitably erode what’s left of his sanity, his repressed memories begin to surface and the insidious menace of the trapdoor grows in his mind.

• Homage to the 80′s cartoon set in the Amnesia universe
  • All new writing and voice-over
  • Modified sanity system
  • Multiple endings
  • No lantern!

[Image: TheTrapdoor_screen1-150x150.jpg][Image: TheTrapdoor_screen7-150x150.jpg][Image: TheTrapdoor_screen8-150x150.jpg]

A note about the modified sanity system:
I consider this to be a SPOILER because the best way to find out is to play the game and discover it for yourself. However, if you're determined to know in advance how Burke's surroundings and interactions affect his sanity and vice versa, read on.
Spoiler below!
  • Burke must cling to the familiar to stay balanced and his sanity is imperative to his survival.
  • His "companion skull" Boney is a link to the past that will help him stay sane and will restore some sanity whenever they are re-united after a while. Without Boney he will quickly lose his grip.
  • Finding notes about Burke's past will help too.
  • Certain objects, disturbing places, and any previously unvisited location, will cause a sanity drain.
  • As Burke learns more about his situation, the magnitude of this drain increases.
  • As Burke's sanity drains, his monologue will become more frantic.
  • The monsters that Burke encounters are borne of his fractured mind and will hunt him down while his insanity lasts.
  • The only respite from the monsters is to restore Burke's sanity and maintain it as best you can

My hope is that this changes the mechanic of Amnesia somewhat and creates a fresher, and tenser, experience. Let me know what you think!
Spoiler below!
Looks like an interesting mechanic to have the skull protect you from the monsters Tongue

Oh, and if you consider the last part a spoiler, perhaps you should use a [spoiler] tag?
Good point. Done.
Too dark for me, you should consider adding a flashlight or something.
(05-07-2014, 11:31 PM)Amn Wrote: [ -> ]Too dark for me, you should consider adding a flashlight or something.

I know the pitch darkness is not to everyone's taste, but I thought about it and decided I wanted to do 2 things, 1) force the player to repeatedly step into a wall of darkness (it's a game about facing your inner darkness after all) and 2) make a resource management puzzle out of tinderboxes. Sometimes you can see better in the dark anyway!

Appreciate the feedback, though! It was deliberate, but my next game will probably be lighter.

Cheers!
Me again mrbehemoth,(moddb)
i still think adding a hugh boxlight with like all colors 0.03 or what your taste would be. would do the trick.
believe me, looks the same, but the darkness fading is way less then.
still is immense dark, but the players still see a little better.
please consider that, or let the player be able to carry a candle with them.
i can send you mine, you can carry it with you, its also in my mod premonition.
ifyou have my mod its in the minestart.map if i M right.
otherwise i can send it over.
just an idea. Place a couple of carryable candles here and there...
I like the darkness,
Right in the beginning when i opened the door and that wall of darkness was there was so scared of walking into it.

Although when lighting things it would be nice if they gave off more light, Even with the wall of darkness at the end of their radius would still make sense because of the unnaturalness of the darkness.
(05-08-2014, 12:33 PM)Guest Wrote: [ -> ]I like the darkness,
Right in the beginning when i opened the door and that wall of darkness was there was so scared of walking into it.

Although when lighting things it would be nice if they gave off more light, Even with the wall of darkness at the end of their radius would still make sense because of the unnaturalness of the darkness.

I haven't played your map yet, but I suggest you follow this one Wink

The default candles and lamps do not give off enough light when lit. You need to create and extra pointlight for it to work realistic.
A very nice idea! But try to not overuse the darkness because sometimes it's very frustrating. I'll play it when the tweaks are done! Looks very interesting.
Thanks for all the feedback. I know about connected point lights and such - there're quite a few places where I've used them.

I'm going to be stubborn about this. Sorry! I don't want to do another version/patch just now ... I want to work on something new.

But I *have* definitely taken on board what everyone has said.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5