Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: What scares you?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Yo!

Since Im' making a story I just wanted to ask you a few questions about what you think is scary!

And old environment or a modern environment?

Jumpscares or story?

Music or no music?

Dungeons or mansions?

Mansions or castles?

Feel free to tell me why it's scarier etc.
-Story
Spoiler below!
because jumpscare makes no sense and they are stupid make some peoples leave CS and ever saw that New Game (original) doesn't have jumpscares
-Music
Spoiler below!
It can be creepy music,custom music,sounds that you made etc... Better something then nothing and P.S USE EVERY moment to scare player as much as you can...Noticed how much scripts does have Original game like waking up, musics, winds, falling, looking at obj. etc...?
-Both
Spoiler below!
Make the something that is nice and fine to player relax a little at the begin then LATER make some sense that player will make to enter dungeons that are creepy
-Castles
Spoiler below!
They are more creepy

-This is tip from me to you:
Spoiler below!
Make some good begin (Original games may have this mistake two)don't make just You woke up in castle let's search and die...Make some sense why he enter there,why he wanna continue to search if he is scared make him continue...
Another-Don't make monsters too fast,make MAYBE some hallucinations but not the real ones
And don't be lazy!
Make some good point,puzzles,make something NEW,turn you imagination ON!!! If need some help and you run out of ideas ask someone else?What you can lose NOTHING maybe he make some good ideas to you.And never ever ever ever give up!

Thanks for reading i hope you did read all Smile
(05-10-2014, 08:45 PM)Straxedix Wrote: [ -> ]-Story
Spoiler below!
because jumpscare makes no sense and they are stupid make some peoples leave CS and ever saw that New Game (original) doesn't have jumpscares
-Music
Spoiler below!
It can be creepy music,custom music,sounds that you made etc... Better something then nothing and P.S USE EVERY moment to scare player as much as you can...Noticed how much scripts does have Original game like waking up, musics, winds, falling, looking at obj. etc...?
-Both
Spoiler below!
Make the something that is nice and fine to player relax a little at the begin then LATER make some sense that player will make to enter dungeons that are creepy
-Castles
Spoiler below!
They are more creepy

Spoiler below!
Make some good begin (Original games may have this mistake two)don't make just You woke up in castle let's search and die...Make some sense why he enter there,why he wanna continue to search if he is scared make him continue...
Another-Don't make monsters too fast,make MAYBE some hallucinations but not the real ones
And don't be lazy!
Make some good point,puzzles,make something NEW,turn you imagination ON!!! If need some help and you run out of ideas ask someone else?What you can lose NOTHING maybe he make some good ideas to you.And never ever ever ever give up!

Thanks for reading i hope you did read all Smile

Thank you for you opinion! Smile
(05-10-2014, 08:52 PM)Skyy Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-10-2014, 08:45 PM)Straxedix Wrote: [ -> ]-Story
Spoiler below!
-Music
Spoiler below!
-Both
Spoiler below!
-Castles
Spoiler below!
They are more creepy

Spoiler below!
And don't be lazy!

Thanks for reading i hope you did read all :)

Thank you for you opinion! :)

Np i just hope something of this i make will help you ;)
Modern - I would say its because the old is overused, but i guess if well done its just a personal preference.

Story - Jumpscares get annoying and boring, while good if used sparingly and well led-up-to

Music - Shouldn't be obtrusive, but should be noticeable should i be listening for it.

Mansions - This is a close call, all depends on the story, but gennerally the less used/cliche mansion i would prefer
everything pretty much..
An old environment or a new environment can be equally scary, should it be put together correctly. People don't fear the environment as much as they fear the unknown. ;P

Jumpscares are more startling than scary, but in the right setting (say, after building up a lot of tension or fear within the player), a well placed scare can really do the trick. And too much story flushes immersion down the toilet. However, if the story contains just the right amount of story, and that story happens to be pretty gruesome, you can inflict a more subconscious type of fear. >D

I can't say for sure about having music or no music. Having a steady stream of music and then suddenly cutting it off terrifies me, however, having a simplistic and minimalistic amount of music in the background that's steady and partially consistent can really do well for atmosphere and building up terror. This song for instance (click me) is just one note, and you can edit it in audacity to add little sounds of your own, or you can script little sounds into the map. It's terrifying.

A lot of people seem to be doing mansions these days, so dungeons and castles. Also, a lot of people seem to be throwing around "You wake up in an unfamiliar or familiar place and gotta find out why". Granted, the game is called Amnesia (hell, even my own FC mod contains that cliche), but give your character a solid reason for doing what he's doing. : D The thing a lot of custom stories lack these days is reality.

Also. Try to avoid key hunts. If you're going to have your character search for a key, or multiple keys, add some additional puzzles along the way.

Good luck with your CS!!
I'm not gonna talk about all the things because I think things have already been said...

But, Oh my god, music can be soooooo scary! Seriously.
If the music is right, if it's played right, and works with the surroundings then it's awesome.

Imagine a drone... Just going and going in the background. It doesn't have a connection to anything.
When suddenly BAM! The music and the world around you combines, and become one thing...
This is rare but when it actually works, it's amazing.
In my personal opinion, sometimes only the ambience sound in the backround is creepier, it brings that feel of being alone or something.
You can hear every single sound more clearly, since music is not interfering.
And also, it makes things more realistic.

When it comes to other stuff, maybe minimal jumpscares, i am bored to death with them.
Story?
Spoiler below!

Story in my opinion is the most strongest part of a custom story as it sets the scares it self.

Music
Spoiler below!

Music can accompany scares to make them more horrifying.

Mansions
Spoiler below!

Mansion because Castles are way used too much.

Pages: 1 2 3