Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Modding Wishlist
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Some suggestions for the level editor and modding

Penumbra wasn’t too easy to mod. Most values were hardcode, scripting was very restrictive.

Level Editor:
-Allow vertex modifications and splicing. Only on static (architect models)
-Allow radius modifications on vertex/faces (useful for making hills, mountains, and so on)
-Option to customize tabs (able to increase the size of the viewer, side bar, ect)
-Ability to start ingame in the editor (basically creates the player where the editor camera was)
-Allow Debug scripts specially for editor-ran levels. This would be extremely useful for debug and the previous suggestion
-Give objects ability to name themselves automatically ; model file has value for basic entity name (woodbox001) and than in the editor, when the object is placed you can add another name to it. Woodbox001_Editor Suffix (objectprefix_editorsuffix) for examples.
-Allow physic and AI running in the editor (toggle option. Can be saved in this method)
-Ability to replace object with another (right click>file>replace?)
-Largely Open Source - players could add new features, improve others, and so on.

Level Viewer
-hotkey for displaying other hotkeys (space?)
-Ability for scripts to be used (so we can see ai move, and script-activated sounds not playing)
-Ability to go to player-based control at any time, and revert back to free-mode (in free mode, camera does not activate scripts)
-Ability to set every graphics option in the level viewer (before level is rendered fo course)

Object Editor : This opens files for various values, textures, models, and so on
-Full support for all hpl2 open file types
-Integrated model viewer which updates on value changes
-Self-regulating mat files (object editor has values for all types of texture types - if it doesn’t have it, than the game won’t try and render it)
-Ability to add more values to it

Script Editor
Ability to call values from model files (even if they are user-made values)
Script-Prefixer (This has become a lifesaver in wc3 Jass language. It highlights certain words, making it very easy to read)
Better error reporting (specific line of code it got caught on)
Script list (when you start typing in something, it creates a small box somewhere with additional info on it. Full name, how it’s case sensitive, what values it uses, example call. Or at least give us the option to)
Debug, console, and file reporting. We should have the option of saving values to specific files (add, replace, ect)
Ability to order or influence AI (coordinates, order style, ect)
Ability to detect keypress
Ability to manipulate camera
Ability to create variables and arrays
Ability to return Boolean values on a vast range of subjects (if ObjectCoordsX (objectbox[I]) != BadPlaceX[I] then (kind of how wc3 jass is used Confused)

Graphics, Player, and so on
Ability to manipulate graphics (mainly values. Would be nice changing how graphics are rendered in a slight amount)
If it effects the player, please make it modable. Give us some values for night vision, allow us to customize inventory (inventory is made of boxes which are created in global script. When an item is picked up, it is added to the specific inventory box. All handled via global or other style of script)
Ability to add values to main player and allow scripts to use these

Add yours!
(Many were inspired by wc3 scripting, or CryEngine2's editor)
Here is my ideas:

It would be nice to have the editor be kind of like the game itself, where you pick up items and place them where you want in first person.

Use of Booleans (Union, Difference, Intersection) Would be cool.
(01-23-2009, 07:10 AM)dragonmaster Wrote: [ -> ]It would be nice to have the editor be kind of like the game itself, where you pick up items and place them where you want in first person.
That would be like in Garrys mod.
I agree with WindexGlow. Modding for Penumbra games should be more modder friendly. I hope that FG make theyr next games more possible to mod so users can create different game that the original game.
(01-23-2009, 07:10 AM)dragonmaster Wrote: [ -> ]It would be nice to have the editor be kind of like the game itself, where you pick up items and place them where you want in first person.

Or Sauerbraten, the funniest way of editing maps! xD

------

Although, it's Frictional that is the primary user of the tools, so I actually think they will make the mod tools like something they can handle easily for a starter, not how the community would handle it, since there _are_ stupid people in this world, that would probably not know how to use the tools even if a 1000-page documentary were placed in their hands. But IF Frictional want to support the modding community, then I really need to agree that the tools need to be upgraded. Big Grin:
The biggest problem I saw with penumbra, is you can just make new levels and edit some values. You couldn't really add onto the gameplay.
Well, go buy a game engine or create one yourself. Tongue: Modding is modding, not game development. ^^
(01-23-2009, 05:04 PM)nackidno Wrote: [ -> ]that would probably not know how to use the tools even if a 1000-page documentary were placed in their hands.

That would most definitley be me. What I want is something like Age of Empires scenario editor, something so easy an eight year old could use it, then I might be able to accomplish something.
Another thing I want added (well, removed) would not having to add every foulder the game uses to a list. I found this silly and annoying when modding HPL1. You guys pretty much had every foulder added already - Why not just skip it?
Well,
I would like to see some sort of multiplayer mode, preferably co-op mode, or some sort of versus mode were some people are monsters and the others have to survive as long as they can. Or get the artifact, or even point a- to point b.

My suggestions!!!

=)
I disagree. Multiplayer was discussed a couple of years ago, and it turned out that Multiplayer in games like Penumbra is a thing to avoid completely.

I'm not sure and I'm not going to make any definite statements but HPL or HPL2 doesn't have any network code right? and I think it would be too much of a hassle to implement it at this time.
Pages: 1 2