Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Waiting for Penumbra order ... What to do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just (re)discover (by the Steam release) the Penumbra-Series a few days ago.

So me and my girlfriend downloaded and played the tech demo and the demos for Overture and Black Plaque. We loved them and decided to buy the to games.

But we had to wait for the order to arrive. To bridge the time of waiting we decided to try the old Unbirth demo/alpha.

And it was a really good decision! We had so much fun the complete last two days to play through this nice piece of software! Besides the very, very often happened crashes and the long loading times it was really interessting to explore this little world. Too sad it was never finished and has no real ending.

But we want to say thank your for giving us the opportunity to take a look at this (trial of a) game.

So anyone who have to wait for a penumbra order or the next game from frictional games ... try this demo/alpha.
Try Fiend, it's pretty nice. Not that long but it's definitely worth the time. Smile:
And not that good looking either... If you're waiting 'Penumbra graphics'. Wink:
hmmm... eat and drink hehe
Unbirth is great fun for people who like to tinker with games to, i've spenyt god knows how many hours mucking around with it. Great fun! Big Grin:
Mine always crashes so I got bored trying to play it. Anyways, I searched through school and stuff. It had the same music as Tech Demo in there. Wink: Tongue:
Mine crashed pretty much aswell, sadly. I got into the house, to the bathroom and I encountered the first enemy. Then I got bored and cheated my way to a few different maps before turning it off.
Y'know, I've kinda been wondering if FG plans on remaking Unbirth as a commercial product and making money off of it. I know they probably wouldn't waste their time with that kind of thing, but Unbirth really had potential to be an awesome game. Granted, even if you ignored the copious amounts of glitches and bugs, it still wasn't PERFECT, but I still found myself being drawn into the environment. I wanted to find out what was happening to all of the children, and to the whole town itself, and it was a bit of a letdown knowing that there is no end to the game, no evil villain exposition or anything.

I know it'll never happen, but if FG ever remade it, or even just released their notes on the overall plot and ending, I think I would be eternally grateful. It'd be a shame to let all that work and potential go down the drain like that.
(02-04-2009, 01:23 PM)Scraper Wrote: [ -> ]Mine always crashes so I got bored trying to play it. Anyways, I searched through school and stuff. It had the same music as Tech Demo in there. Wink: Tongue:

Sure did! and an early version of the hunter is in there. Funny. i only ever had a couple of crashes when i changed maps, but mostly my transitions were smooth.
Those were children? Was there any plot or puzzles in the game by the way?
I played like the first few minutes. Made a flashlight (good thinking there, walking off into the dark without a flashlight [i]is{/i] stupid), went out of the house... into the house... and into a bathroom. That's what I remember.
Pages: 1 2