Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Unsatisfied
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
After playing Overture and Black Plague and loving them, Requiem just feels like a massive disappointment. Has Frictional acknowledged the total lack of a satisfying end to the story, or even any answers to some of the many questions the previous two games evoke? Any mention of a fourth title in the Penumbra series?

Thanks for any info, and great job Frictional on the first two titles!
There's just one fairly unnamed game coming up.
"Lux Tenebras" is probably what it will be called but I think the official working title just is "Unknown" or "NextFrictionalProject".
It won't be Penumbra, but most of us are expecting a few ties between the two.
No more Penumbra games planned, it ends with Requiem or rather with Black Plague as requiem is only an expansion for BP.
I don't really get that why everyone insults Requiem that it's so BAAAAAD!!!
I think that little puzzle game isn't really that bad. We had horror on two games before, right?
I really want more puzzles so I think it's good to have that game!
Quote:I don't really get that why everyone insults Requiem that it's so BAAAAAD!!!
I think that little puzzle game isn't really that bad. We had horror on two games before, right?

I agree! The Requiem is not so horror than Overture & BP, but there's many great puzzles. It was longer than i expected and i have all penumbra games on my computer (Tech Demo counted it's 4). Goooooood!!!!:biggrin:
Requiem: BOOOOOOO i didnt like it a bit, i never finished it and i dont play since Wink (old rant)
But yes massive credits to Frictional Games for the other Penumbra games
(02-03-2009, 05:45 PM)Scraper Wrote: [ -> ]I don't really get that why everyone insults Requiem that it's so BAAAAAD!!!

It's because most of us expected another semiaction game and something to keep us excited and entertained plot-wise.
Requiem didn't contain any excitement though most puzzles were entertaining as I remember them.
But for Requiem to have become a hit they would have had to stronger announce it as a puzzle game and perhaps include some classic puzzle game features such as replaying any completed level - and also I think they should had put a lot more into the notes, decorations and relation to the rest of the game.
I loved that communications base due to the way it actually fit with the rest of the series and made me think "Oh, I wonder what this place could be?". In the very first stage there were some engravings on the walls aswell, I would had liked to see a lot more of that. Engravings in the temples, notes laying around and simply a whole lot more realistic design. Tables and chairs. Most of the puzzles in Requiem are a bit too much "puzzle" designed and not realistic at all.
(02-04-2009, 04:06 PM)Kedjane Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-03-2009, 05:45 PM)Scraper Wrote: [ -> ]I don't really get that why everyone insults Requiem that it's so BAAAAAD!!!

It's because most of us expected another semiaction game and something to keep us excited and entertained plot-wise.
Requiem didn't contain any excitement though most puzzles were entertaining as I remember them.
But for Requiem to have become a hit they would have had to stronger announce it as a puzzle game and perhaps include some classic puzzle game features such as replaying any completed level - and also I think they should had put a lot more into the notes, decorations and relation to the rest of the game.
I loved that communications base due to the way it actually fit with the rest of the series and made me think "Oh, I wonder what this place could be?". In the very first stage there were some engravings on the walls aswell, I would had liked to see a lot more of that. Engravings in the temples, notes laying around and simply a whole lot more realistic design. Tables and chairs. Most of the puzzles in Requiem are a bit too much "puzzle" designed and not realistic at all.

They DID announce it as puzzle centric.
(02-06-2009, 02:20 AM)jamhaw Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-04-2009, 04:06 PM)Kedjane Wrote: [ -> ]

They DID announce it as puzzle centric.

I thought it still would have a logical plot and that whole part. Didn't expect teleporting between different stages solving puzzles.
First I must say that the penumbra almost triology is far beyond what i believed game makers to be capable of.

But since I am a Schwabe (suebian) i have to criticize. (Usually the best praise you could get from a Schwabe is "Ha, do kosch nix sage" Well ... you can't say anything (bad) about it.)

I just finished Requiem (both ways) and it felt little different from the casual breakdowns of the game, ... like kicked out.

- My game experience was pretty much flawed because my computer was repeatedly overburdened with handling the graphics though it more than meets the stated minimum requirements of the game and i turned off/down all graphic extras.

- On the other hand the sceneries especially the closure seem pretty empty and oversized while they demand more than all of my graphics card.

+ The sophisticated idea might have been to create various paralell layers of possible (virtual) realities: In the beginning I wondered if i was not Phillip but the one he sent the message to. Did the Tuungait who attacked me drag me into the tomb and leave me for dead? Is what I hear and see halucinations in the aftermath of the infection?
In the end it looks like having been the dreams of a dying man.

+ I expected any time in Requiem to occur another ecounter with some evil creature that doesn't turn out to be a phantasm.

- the puzzles are partly very flat.

+ When I was outside i thought: "Couldn't i just get saved here by a helicopter?". After making my way up through some levels, the view of ramps or stairs leading donwards made me think: "I absolutely dont want to go down there." But there was no other way. Eventually it seems now that Philipp's fantasy depicted his live energy going down this way.

I mumble a little because requiem seems to have suffered the doom of most sequels. Still it felt like living in one of the best movies.
I feel very much tempted to invest into a more powerful computer for getting to enjoy entirely the scenery of forthcoming games.[/font][/font]
Pages: 1 2