Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: TDD & Penumbra Being Removed From GOG by September 2nd
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
This depresses me deeply. Yes I already own the game but not only does it mean new people who might not have heard of GOG won't be able to get it. It also means the games won't receive any further updates or patches. Come Windows 9 could bring some trouble.

Also what about future games from Frictional, are they going to get a DRM free release gog or anything.
Can confirm that they have been removed from GOG now - at least on my end.
(08-29-2014, 01:50 PM)jens Wrote: [ -> ]-SNIP-
It should have little impact as either you already have the game and can continue using it, or you do not have the game and do not want it, or you do not have the game but really want it, in which case 80% off is the cheapest (I think) it has ever been offered for on GOG.

The impact is still felt but in a different way.

There are still plenty of people that don't know about GOG and won't be able to buy TDD/Penumbra or be gifted.

Another problem that can occur is that the GOG version will no longer receive updates and patches. With Windows 9 on the way there may be some compatibility issue. Other version of the game such as Steam will be updated and patched, but the GOG version will carries problems.

I'm very displeased with the removal of these games despite already owning them. I wanted TDD/Penumbra on GOG for ages and bought them on day one despite already owning on Steam. Now that their gone with little to any likelihood of returning, it's just depressing. Not only that but is there any hope of Frictrional's newer projects making it to GOG.

Let me finish by saying I'm not pointing any fingers or taking sides here. I've ask this of GOG and Nordic as well to please work on bringing these games back.

It's immensely satisfying to truly own a game without the DRM in one place.

Thanks for reading.
(09-02-2014, 03:08 PM)Magmarock Wrote: [ -> ]Now that their gone with little to any likelihood of returning, it's just depressing. Not only that but is there any hope of Frictrional's newer projects making it to GOG.

It's likely future projects will continue to exist on GOG from Frictional Games, as A Machine For Pigs was not removed and is still available.

But I cannot speak for FG on their approaches for a future partnership with GOG.
(09-02-2014, 03:35 PM)Romulator Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-02-2014, 03:08 PM)Magmarock Wrote: [ -> ]Now that their gone with little to any likelihood of returning, it's just depressing. Not only that but is there any hope of Frictrional's newer projects making it to GOG.

It's likely future projects will continue to exist on GOG from Frictional Games, as A Machine For Pigs was not removed and is still available.

But I cannot speak for FG on their approaches for a future partnership with GOG.

Please use the reply button that way I know you're talking to me Tongue

I just hope that FG and GOG sort it out. TDD/Penumbra are works of art, and GOG has the best installers for games out there.
So, what happens if I bought my copy of ATDD on GoG, and a random update comes along. I get no support?
You should be able to just download the manual update on here and apply it, eh?
(09-03-2014, 07:32 PM)Mudbill Wrote: [ -> ]You should be able to just download the manual update on here and apply it, eh?

Not necessarily. They may just integrate the update in the installer.

Why bother keeping a game updated that's no longer on sale.
I'm pretty sure you can download patches from FG, and use them with your copy of Amnesia. I'd hope so at least.
But as they've said, they make 2 copies of the game when releasing it; one for Steam and one for retail/GOG/whatever else. So that must mean the copies are the same if you get it on GOG or through the Fricional Games store, therefore the patch should work fine with either.

And just because it's not sold anymore doesn't mean it shouldn't be updated. Updates are usually good. Not that I expect many updates in the near future though. If we're lucky, we get the 1.3 patch, but that's it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4