Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: A Crazy Idea for a Story
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, I'm just sitting here, playing with the HPL2 and listening to Spotify, when all of a sudden, this little precious gem of kick-ass music pops up.

(For those of you who do not know, I'm majorly obsessed with Phantom of the Opera.)

Anywho, for a while, I've been wanting to do something very Phantom-esque. I've also had a few ideas of doing something where the story would be split of into chapters or episodes, and each one would have the player controlling different characters. In this case, you could do three chapters as the "Raoul", "Christine", and "Phantom" characters.

(I'm not sure if you can script an FC in such a way that you can have both a male AND female player character. If someone could confirm or deny, t'would be awesome.)

Basically, this is all I've got at the moment and while I know I have decent enough mapping skills, I'm not nearly skilled enough to recreate anything like an underground labyrinth or massive opera house. Though I have no problem with writing out the actual story.

And just imagine how brilliant one could make a chandelier crash! ;D

But I am still working on Helena, and once that is completed (however long that may take) I may have enough confidence to take this particular project on.

So for the moment, I'm just throwing this idea out there to see what interest anyone would have for making a "Phantom of the Opera" based custom story/FC and, if there is any interest, what the community would like to see done with it.
What about copyright?

Using the soundtrack would be damn near impossible, even though it was partly ripped off to begin with.

Perhaps release them as Walking Dead? One episode at a time, then again, the episodes take place at the same time, so that'd be weird.
(09-08-2014, 08:37 PM)i3670 Wrote: [ -> ]What about copyright?

Using the soundtrack would be damn near impossible, even though it was partly ripped off to begin with.

Perhaps release them as Walking Dead? One episode at a time, then again, the episodes take place at the same time, so that'd be weird.

I should have clarified. No, I don't mean to use the music or anything like that.

I meant to either "adapt" the story into Custom Story format, or to create a brand-new story inspired by Phantom (which I would rather do the latter, as it would be more fun).
Ah! Then it's just a matter of creative mapping and scripting.
Excellent idea, AGP. I like it a lot. Especially if you adapt the story and add some new dimensions to it.

(09-08-2014, 08:37 PM)i3670 Wrote: [ -> ]What about copyright?
If it's based on the original novel by Gaston Leroux, then it would be fine as the copyright is expired.

(09-08-2014, 08:37 PM)i3670 Wrote: [ -> ]...then again, the episodes take place at the same time, so that'd be weird.
If it was well written and designed, it'd be brilliant. Each episode reveals a previously unseen layer of the story: something new about the characters and their relationships that contradicts what you were previously lead to believe.

(09-08-2014, 07:56 PM)AGP Wrote: [ -> ](I'm not sure if you can script an FC in such a way that you can have both a male AND female player character. If someone could confirm or deny, t'would be awesome.)
Things like scripted reactions (e.g. gasps) would be no problem. But switching the footsteps, jumping, pain sounds etc. would be very difficult to do in-game.

You'd basically need to silence the automatic sounds and completely script your own player-sounds system. Not impossible, just difficult.

As a much simpler alternative, you could package each episode as a separate CS within your FC and hide the option to start a new main game.
About the sounds, how about recording/using sounds for jumping and such that aren't a specific sex? Instead of having the very noticeable male "Omph" sound you could instead just do something that could sound like either a female or a male, or something that could sound like neither of them, like a generic clothing-fold/stomp effect.

If that was done, you could tell the characters apart by using these scripted reactions as stated above.
Generic cloth stomp. Much better.

Having 2 different voices. I don't think that's possible.

Great idea! Would definitely be fun to both script and create!
I've never seen Phantom of the Opera, so I have no idea how to...

But I'll always be here to help scripting if needed ^_^
Awesome!! Big Grin Hopefully I can come up with something a little more detailed for you guys in the future. Once I'm closer to the end with Helena, I'll be able to concentrate more time into creating something more solid.

Will definitely try to come up with a way to figure out those sounds. It will be interesting to put together.
(09-08-2014, 11:39 PM)FlawlessHappiness Wrote: [ -> ]Having 2 different voices. I don't think that's possible.
The engine can't handle two people having a conversation? Amneisa (the original story) did it... I think. I must be confused with what you meant.
(09-09-2014, 06:39 PM)Ninamori Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-08-2014, 11:39 PM)FlawlessHappiness Wrote: [ -> ]Having 2 different voices. I don't think that's possible.
The engine can't handle two people having a conversation? Amneisa (the original story) did it... I think. I must be confused with what you meant.

No, he meant two voices for the character you play as, as in sound effects like jumping or getting hurt. You can't change those sounds after the game has loaded.
Pages: 1 2